Using C6 AC1200 as router and another C6 AC1200 and TP-Link Archer AX55 as APs

2024-04-03 17:19:29
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I have a 3 building setup, buildings are close by and connected with cables. I would like to use Archer C6 AC1200 as the router in building 1, I don't need fast wifi there so it will be just fine. Buildings 2 and 3 would be connected to this router with wires. Building 2 needs a small compact device so I chose the also C6 AC1200 in AP mode. Finally for building 3 I would use Archer AX55 in AP mode. Can this setup have 1 wifi for all three buildings, how to do set it up and finally can I control this all from the tether app?

Options
10 Reply
Re:Using C6 AC1200 as router and another C6 AC1200 and TP-Link Archer AX55 as APs
2024-04-03 18:40:00 - last edited 2024-04-04 12:26:06

@Jarro 

Yes, this will work for you and you would be able to manage these router models via tether app.

Just name the wireless SSIDs of these three devices the same.

If you want to use Easymesh with an ethernet backhaul - this will work as well (just make sure you have Archer C6 v4).

Use this guide for adding the satellite devices (Archer C6 and Archer AX55) - they should be reset to default settings.

Keep in mind that if the distance between the three buildings is big you won't get the mesh seamless roaming experience.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Using C6 AC1200 as router and another C6 AC1200 and TP-Link Archer AX55 as APs
2024-04-04 17:57:23

@terziyski Thanks for the reply. The buildings are far enough apart that probably there will be zones between without wifi, as long as the wifi exists and devices connect to it seamlessly once in range I will be happy.

As for the Arcer C6 AC1200 as the main router, do you think it is good enough to pass gigabit internet between the houses, or should I get something more powerful, for that building wifi is not important at all.

Options
2024-04-04 18:42:45

@Jarro 

I believe C6 will do the job - it's a gigabit router.

As long as the routers are in wireless range the mesh will work. When they are not, routers will behave as if they are in AP mode.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-04-06 17:46:20

@terziyski Thank you very much, I bought the items to test and then setup.

Options
3 weeks ago

@terziyski 

Hi again, so I finally got to setting the layout up but the easymesh doesn't seem to go to ethernethaul. It stays on wireless and says it has a poor connection. Main router is c6 and satellite device is ax55, both were updated to their latest versions.

Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@Jarro 

Right now I put the ax55 into apmode to work as an ectender of wifi. Although ax55 is updated to the latest firmware 1.2.6 it still doesn't show support for easymesh. I can only set up onemesh.

Firmware Version :
1.2.6 Build 20231130 rel.36135(4555)
Hardware Version :
Archer AX55 v1.0
Options
3 weeks ago

@Jarro 

To be able to use AX55 in Easymesh when AX55 is in AP mode you should update to FW v1.3.1 - here.

Now, what about C6 - which is its HW and FW version ?

Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@Jarro 

Hi you can use all 3 to distribute your wifi between all 3 buildings, 

I would personally use the AX55 as your main as I think the ax55 is the better of the 3 and have the 2x C6 1200 as your access points in the 2 other buildings. 

Before I upgraded to 3xAX72's I was using 1x AX72 as my main unit then the 2x C61200 as access points, 

Yes the C6 routers are GB but I believe that's only on the LAN side of things not via WiFi from my experience, 

I'm on a GB plan and I could never reach anything over 650-700 via wifi when connected to the C6 router. 

My old c6 had quite a large wifi range where I could still pick up the wifi signal on 5ghz at least 150ft away from the unit, 

Granted the link speed was low in the picture but when you factor in the distance and being on 5ghz aswell as having flats/apartments to the left and right of where I was standing in the photo aswell as having houses on the left and right in front of me in this picture I can safely say that the channel congestion was probably quite high yet on 5ghz I was still connected at that distance. 

I would like to say  from my experience depending how or where you are able to place your routers aswell I'm sure you should be able to cover quite a large area with wifi between the 3 buildings 

How I set my routers up was I had the main unit set up as normal with my own ssid/passwords and then I set up both AP with the same ssid and passwords and then put them into AP mode then connected them via the lan ports on the main unit to the wan ports of each AP and thats it. 

For you as you will need outdoor rated  ethernet ( direct burial or normal outdoor rated ) depending how you choose to run your cable as normal ethernet won't be able to handle the outside elements 

If you want to connect devices via the lan ports on the AP routers then you can as the lan ports still work 

I do get the odd delay of switching over via wifi but generally I don't have any issues, 

Some devices might need a nudge by turning the wifi on and off again. 

Options
2 weeks ago

@terziyski 

The c6 offered the easymesh option. It was the v4 as you suggested I should get. FW 1.13.2. I will try to update the ax55 and see if I get easymesh working.

If I add the third router to the easymesh network does it need to be close to the main router or can I set it up to have air link with a satellite router?

Options
2 weeks ago

@Jarro 

Keep the satelitte router closer to your main router and use the FW releases I posted to achieve what you want.

Options