Connecting TP-Link Archer AX73 Router with Deco x50

3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi. Just putting this out there in preparation for coming upgrade. Any advice greatly appreciated.

About to get 1000 Mbps internet upgrade from 100 mbps service. House is fully wired for ethernet. Currently running an Archer AX73 (V1) router into a Netgear GS316 Unmanaged Gigabit Switch with wired connection and out via wired ethernet to 3 Apple Airport Express. The old Airports are only 100mbps and have to go.

Here's the question - can I simply replace the airports with 3 Deco X50s using the wired ethernet connections as currently exist? Some diagrams I've seen suggest I need a Deco unit (labelled Main Unit) between the Archer AX73 and the Switch before then using 3 other Deco units where the existing Airports are. Really? I only bought the AX73 a year ago and assumed it would be able to talk to Deco units knowing I would one day be needing them.

So, do I need a 4th Deco unit to run as the Main Unit or can I simply replace the 3 Airports with Deco units?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Connecting TP-Link Archer AX73 Router with Deco x50-Solution

Zorro16 wrote

@Alexandre. 

I guess the obvious question is "To replace that set up, why go for the more expensive Deco units when 3 good Range Extenders (eg TP-Link AX3000 Mesh WiFi 6 Extender) in Access Point mode would achieve the same result for less outlay?"

May I ask if you see any obvious Pros and Cons of that option

@Zorro16 

It is OK to expand TP-Link Archer AX73 Router with WiFi 6 range extenders, and the benefit will be with the right selection of extenders they will share same WiFi mesh with Archer AX73 Router. You will have four WiFi mesh nodes (router + three extenders) as a result. 

For that to work, range extenders must satisfy the following requirements:

1. Support OneMesh just like Archer AX73 does

More info on different TP-Link WiFi mesh offerings: TP-Link Deco Mesh vs EasyMesh vs OneMesh vs Omada Mesh What's the Difference?

2. Has WiFi6 (most do, but always check)

3. Can use Ethernet backhaul to connect to main WiFi mesh unit, TP-Link Archer AX73 Router in your case.

Using Ethernet cable was your requirement, due to brick walls in your house. 

I don't think TP-Link AX3000 Mesh WiFi 6 Extender can run on Ethernet backhaul to the  Archer AX73. You should check that.

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Connecting TP-Link Archer AX73 Router with Deco x50
3 weeks ago

@Zorro16 

My understanding is, this is what you want:

You can have that with Deco mesh running in Access Point mode. By default Deco will run in Router mode, but after you added first unit and it became Main Deco, you can switch Deco mesh to run in AP mode: Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

Archer AX73 will not share WiFi with Deco mesh, while these are products from the same brand they are not WiFi mesh compatible. Treat Deco X50s just like you treated Apple Airports before: a system to provide WiFi coverage for your house independent of Archer AX73.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Зорро16 

Not quite on topic, but I’ll answer anyway.

in your case, I would consider the Omada corporate solution as wifi access points

I understand that you have an organization or something similar, deco is positioned as a home solution or a solution for a small office

in deco there is no control of wifi channels, and in access point mode there are generally no functions for managing a wireless network, they are quite meager.

if you have a server, you can deploy the omada software controller, or buy an inexpensive tp link OC 200 as a controller

I can recommend the access point EAP 660 HD

Options
3 weeks ago

@Zorro16 

You may mix the decos with the router, but by doing so, you will have to set the Deco into AP mode, and you will need to forego on QOS,Parental Controls, NAT, or some other features that MAY or MAY NOT be listed out in this forums.

Read here for the differences for Router mode and AP mode on Deco
https://www.tp-link.com/my/support/faq/2399/

So, if you want FULL FEATURES of Deco, best to use only DECOS in the network, if not, you won't be facing any issues by linking one Deco to the AX73 router with LAN cable and the rest as wireless backhaul.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Alexandre. 

Thank you for this. Yes, that diagram sums up the set up I would like to replicate in our home. It's a large one-level home with brick walls and an internal courtyard. We effectively have the Archer AX73 in one corner of the building and the airports in the other 3 corners to give us coverage. Airports are all set on "Extend a Wireless Network" which sounds the same as Access Point mode on the Deco units. This works well except for the looming speed issue.

I guess the obvious question is "To replace that set up, why go for the more expensive Deco units when 3 good Range Extenders (eg TP-Link AX3000 Mesh WiFi 6 Extender) in Access Point mode would achieve the same result for less outlay?"

May I ask if you see any obvious Pros and Cons of that option (other than the obvious "future proofing" by investing in Deco units now and a newer Mesh-compatible Router down the track)?

Thank you inadvance for any further guidance you may have.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Godlike66 

Thank you for this. The set up is for a home... but a large, spread out, one-level home with internal brick walls. So the 3 Deco units or similar would be necessary.

I'm not tech savvy enough to consider Server options. It will have to be simple and idiot-proof or I will mess it up!

Thanks again for responding so quickly.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Omochao 

Thank you for your response and the article link. I'm not sure I'm tech savvy enough to utilise all the features that I would forego by using the Deco units in AP. Range extenders would do the same job for much less money.

I think my decision needs to be based on whether I future proof our set up by going with Deco units and a new Mesh compatible Router, or save the money by simply range extending with 1000 mbps units for now.

Thank you again for your advice.

Options
Re:Connecting TP-Link Archer AX73 Router with Deco x50-Solution

Zorro16 wrote

@Alexandre. 

May I ask if you see any obvious Pros and Cons of that option

@Zorro16 

It is OK to expand TP-Link Archer AX73 Router with WiFi 6 range extenders, and the benefit will be with the right selection of extenders they will share same WiFi mesh with Archer AX73 Router. You will have four WiFi mesh nodes (router + three extenders) as a result. 

For that to work, range extenders must satisfy the following requirements:

1. Support OneMesh just like Archer AX73 does

More info on different TP-Link WiFi mesh offerings: TP-Link Deco Mesh vs EasyMesh vs OneMesh vs Omada Mesh What's the Difference?

2. Has WiFi6 (most do, but always check)

3. Can use Ethernet backhaul to connect to main WiFi mesh unit, TP-Link Archer AX73 Router in your case.

Using Ethernet cable was your requirement, due to brick walls in your house. 

I don't think TP-Link AX3000 Mesh WiFi 6 Extender can run on Ethernet backhaul to the  Archer AX73. You should check that.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 weeks ago

@Alexandre. 

Thank you yet again for your quick and easily-understood response.

From reading the articles you and other community members sent, it seems that the combination of our current Archer AX73 Router and 3 x RE705X Range Extenders will give us the coverage and speed we need at a pretty good price point. All are OneMesh compatible and the RE705X accepts wired ethernet. 

I really appreciate the time you've taken to assist me.

Options