TL-WPA4220 v4 issues

TL-WPA4220 v4 issues
TL-WPA4220 v4 issues
2 weeks ago
Model: TL-WPA4220  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 4.0.5 Build 20230427 Rel.59854

Hi,

I have a 500Mbps broadband connection in front of the house with an ISP-provided router. I have confirmed router speeds by connecting to the router itself, which is what everone in the house does.

I then have a TL-WPA4220 (AV600 with 300Mbps Wi-Fi) extender kit with the Powerline adapter plugged into the wall power socket. With the router, adapter, and extender (again plugged into the socket—no power block) all in the same room and then connecting to the extender, I am only getting 120Mbps. When I move the extender to the office, which is less than 150 feet from the adapter and router, the download speed drops below 10Mbps, but the upload speed stays at around 50Mbps. 

I updated the firmware and ensured that the QOS was set to the internet with no parental controls enabled. I installed TP-Link utility and it indicates that download is continaully red, even sometimes displaying a '?', yet upload is 50-70Mbps.

This only became an issue in the last few months but I am not exactly sure what changed..

1. Is it possible there is some restriction around the router itself?

2. How would the download speed drop so dramatically, yet the upload speed stays the same?

3. Is this just really old hardware, and if so, does anyone have a replacement suggestion as I am concerned there is a degradation on the line from the house to the office of some kind that may always be a problem over the power line.

Thanks,

Eddie

File:
TP Images.zipDownload
Options
1 Reply
Re:TL-WPA4220 v4 issues
2 weeks ago

@Eddieturbo 

Hi Eddie, thanks for posting question on our community.

The powerline rate displayed on the PLC utility is the theoretical negotiation speed between the two powerline adapters, it does not directly represent the maximum speed between them.

Actual speed is usually about 30-50% of powerline rate, it depends on various factors including electrical interference, volume of traffic and network overhead.

It is suggested to read this article to explore more: Explanation about the Powerline Rate and Actual speed of the Powerline Adapters

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 62

Replies: 1

Related Articles