"MODERN" Browser/OS not connecting to Router WEB INTERFACE, but connecting on antique computer/OS

"MODERN" Browser/OS not connecting to Router WEB INTERFACE, but connecting on antique computer/OS

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Tags: #Access Control #Web Config Interface
Model: TL-WR1043N  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 3.16.9 Build 20160607 Rel.58297n

Hi,

I wonder if there is any way to connect to the web interface of this router with a "modern" computer or software. I know this router is out of support.

I am not able to connect from Windows 10 or Debian 12 using recent versions of Firefox or other browsers.

Whatever I try, the browser becomes unresponsive with an ERROR TIMEOUT. I've tried with two computers (DELL INSPIRON 7000, (2020?) and Lenovo T480 (2017?)), the latter also using an Ethernet cable, but nothing works. TIMEOUT. Not reachable.

Fortunately, the Internet connection works fine through this router interface, and both computers can connect to the internet and the Wi-Fi without problems.

What's most interesting is that the router's web interface works fine with old browsers and computers. So, I can configure the router through the web interface at the LAN IP address (192.168.1.1) using a very old DELL Inspiron 640m with Xubuntu 18.04. Even my Playstation 3, with some tweaks to its ancient browser, lets me connect to the web interface. The FTP service offered by this router is active and doesn't show any connection problems with any computer.

Therefore, I think the problem lies with the web server used by the router, which fails to communicate with most recent computers or protocols. Do you know of any workaround to solve this? I've tried connecting using a VirtualBox guest with the same version of Xubuntu as my DELL Inspiron, hoping to replicate the success of the older DELL INSPIRON, but this didn't work.

The router is connected to a VDSL MODEM reachable through 192.168.2.1; this modem also has a web interface that responds correctly to requests from any computer connected to the LAN.

Anyway, I would appreciate any help to understand why it's not working with relatively modern software and hardware.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:"MODERN" Browser/OS not connecting to Router WEB INTERFACE, but connecting on antique computer/OS-Solution

Finally, I discover the issue. The problem was that the router is configured with a white list of MAC address to allow connections to the admin interface. Long time ago, I forgot about it. A factory reset would had solve the issue quicker. Anyway, I learned a lot. Even how to inspect packets with Wireshark.

Maybe, this issue helps someone with the same trouble and weak memory.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:"MODERN" Browser/OS not connecting to Router WEB INTERFACE, but connecting on antique computer/OS-Solution

Finally, I discover the issue. The problem was that the router is configured with a white list of MAC address to allow connections to the admin interface. Long time ago, I forgot about it. A factory reset would had solve the issue quicker. Anyway, I learned a lot. Even how to inspect packets with Wireshark.

Maybe, this issue helps someone with the same trouble and weak memory.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:"MODERN" Browser/OS not connecting to Router WEB INTERFACE, but connecting on antique computer/OS
a week ago

@rodrom 

Yes, thanks for your sharing, which could be much helpful for some people!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 52

Replies: 2

Tags

Access Control
Web Config Interface
Related Articles