TP Link 10-port Switch - What ports do I use?

2024-05-09 14:59:46

Many apologies if this comes across as a noob question but I am unable to find a succinct answer on the internet.

I have recently purchased a TP Link LS1210GP 10-port switch, together with a TP Link Deco X50-POE 3-pack so that I can install a mesh network in my bungalow.

I've successfully commissioned the Deco kit (using their individual power adapters) and am now looking to incorporate the LS1210GP into the mix so that I can take advantage of the POE features that it provides.

What I would like to know is what port on the switch would the primary node connect into?  Any of the ports 1 through 8, or Uplink 1?

I think that I am safe that I can use either of the two 2 gig ports on the primary node to connect to the switch.

Any thoughts/comments/advice much appreciated.

Options
5 Reply
Re:TP Link 10-port Switch - What ports do I use?
2024-05-09 21:16:40 - last edited 2024-05-10 12:28:30

@BanjoWest1956 

On this switch Ports 1–8 supports PoE+ output. So if you're about to use Deco PoE+ feature you can use any of the 1-8 port.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-05-14 07:43:37

@terziyski Thanks for your quick response.

What would be the connectivity trail?

Would it be:

Internet - ONT - Deco X50 POE - TP Link Switch - Device or

Internet - ONT - TP Link Switch - Deco X50 POE - Device?

Would the connectivity change depending on whether or not I used POE or supplied adapter?

Best regards

Banjo

Options
2024-05-14 08:07:51

@BanjoWest1956 

Deco ports are auto-sense so it shouldn't matter to which port of the main Deco unit you've connected the switch.

This document could shed some light on the topology that you should use - first two scenarios are for Deco in router mode.

Last scenario is for Deco in AP mode - this is usually used if you have already a router to avoid the double NAT.

Network topology shouldn't change whether you're using the supplied adapters or the PoE.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-05-14 14:25:45

terziyski wrote

@BanjoWest1956 

Deco ports are auto-sense so it shouldn't matter to which port of the main Deco unit you've connected the switch.

This document could shed some light on the topology that you should use - first two scenarios are for Deco in router mode.

Last scenario is for Deco in AP mode - this is usually used if you have already a router to avoid the double NAT.

Network topology shouldn't change whether you're using the supplied adapters or the PoE.

@terziyski  Thanks very much again for the speedy response and the helpful information contained therein.  Hopefully I will be able to commission my new TP POE switch this weekend and install the ethernet backhaul.

Options
2024-08-01 09:54:33

Thank you both. I was having the same problem and didn't know how to solve it until I read this article.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 502

Replies: 5

Related Articles