Connection preference not available for main deco S7 but satellite M4, is it possible?

Connection preference not available for main deco S7 but satellite M4, is it possible?

2024-05-16 08:03:39
Model: Deco M4   Deco S7  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Beta 1.7.0

I am using 3 pack of deco M4 which running beta firmware 1.7.0. The connection preference function is working as expected.

However, I want to enhance the speed by wiring them together to use ethernet backhaul. The M4 comes with only 2 LAN ports, so I am planning to get a S7 with 3 LAN port as the main deco for my current setup. I read a lot of negative feedback about ç connectivity as well as the Deco app. I also concern about the connection preference function, currently it is not available on the S7, so if I use it as the main deco, can I still use this function on the satellite, or it will be disabled globally?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Connection preference not available for main deco S7 but satellite M4, is it possible?
2024-05-16 11:47:53

@Kizovinh 

Connection Preference feature will be disabled globally if one of Deco units in Deco mesh does not support it.

There is another solution: get 5-port unmanaged gigabit switch from TP-Link brand, connect it to free Ethernet port of Main Deco and you now have extra four Ethernet ports on Main Deco, for the price which is the fraction of new Deco unit.

You can wire Satellite Decos to that switch, they should be able to use Ethernet backhaul.

Options