Annoyances with Archer BE550

2024-05-25 16:29:31 - last edited 2024-05-27 06:51:42
Model: Archer BE550  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have Archer BE550.
In general it works well, but there are a few annoyances which are extremely annoying.

1. going to the admin page at 192.168.0.1 keeps, on occasion, redirect me to http://tplinkwifi.net/ which I really don't care about.
entering the address again seems to be temporarily resolve the issue, but next day the redirect may happen again.
I want it to stay on 192.168.0.1 and don't redirect me ever again.

2. This one is more serious one. Pretty much every day, I am getting connection lost for a few seconds or minute or so. it recovers eventually, but it is a big deal for me. my computer is connected with the network cable to the BE550 in the "extender" mode, while it connects to the BE550 in basement in the "router" mode. not sure which one causes the problem, I don't know. I think both are on the latest firmware.

3. For certain features, e.g. dynamic DNS, it seems that I have to be logged with TP-Link ID. the page to log in gives me often errors "invalid email or password", I am pretty sure they are valid. to be clear, it is not the password to admin page, nor wifi password. This is the password to log-in to TP-Link ID.

hopefully someone can help, especially with the disconnects.

thanks,
zweibier

Options
8 Reply
Re:Annoyances with Archer BE550
2024-05-27 07:08:55

@zweibier 

Hi, thanks for posting question on our community.

May I confirm your exact network topology?

Do you have two Archer BE550 working in Easymesh Wireless Backhaul?

Which router does the unstable connection issue happen on? Main BE550 or satellite BE550 or both routers?

Please share the hardware and firmware version of your Archer BE550.

Troubleshooting: Unstable connection on TP-Link router

Options
2024-05-27 12:58:31 - last edited 2024-05-27 12:58:58

one device as a main gateway, two devices are satellite devices. not sure what is the "Easymesh Wireless Back haul mode", but that was the intent. I added two other routers as satellite devices. variety clients are connected both tirelessly and over the Ethernet to all three devices. the firmware is set to auto-update, at least on the gateway router. not sure where I can see the firmware on the satellite devices, on the gateway router it is 1.0.8 Build 20240226. the disconnects are experienced by all clients wireless and wired, not sure which device is particular client connected to at that moment.

Options
2024-05-31 08:03:59 - last edited 2024-05-31 08:04:27

@zweibier 

Sorry for replying to you late.

Thanks for your sharing, while we need to confirm further to locate the issue better. Thank you for your cooperation.

1.So you have 3 Archer BE550 V1.0, right? If one BE550 work as main router and another two BE550 as satellite routers, both satellite BE550 are connected to main BE550 wirelessly, right? And Where do you place each of the three BE550s? What is the distance among them?

2.Did you set different wifi names for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi band? Or the Smart Connect is enabled? Please log into the web interface of main router and go to Adanced>>Wireless>>Wireless Settings, then you can check.

3. If you set same wifi name for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band, please change into different ones, then check the unstable connection issue happens on which wifi band.

4. How many clients do you have totally? What kind of devices are they?

5. After logging into the web interface of main BE550, you can go to Advanced>>Easymesh to check how many clients are connected to each router and which clients are connected. (Similar screenshots below)

Options
2024-05-31 13:34:39

@Marvin_S yes, I have three BE550. one is the main router and outher two are are sattelites.
we have a split-level house. the main router is down in the garage, because that is where the cable modem is.
one of the satellites is up level, in the living room and another one in the office, next room.
the devices are not very far far one of another, less that 30 feet/10 meters, but there are walls and floor between them.
Both 2.4GHz/5GHz an 6GHz have the same name. I may try to rename the 6GHz network when I have more time.
There's around 25 clients total, the satellite devices usually show around 7-8 clients each.
I have a mix of wi-fi and ethernet clients, computers, cellphones, appletv etc. for the wired devices, all are connected through two netgear switches, one plugged to the main router, one to the one of the satellite devices

Options
2024-06-03 02:29:47

@zweibier 

Hi,thanks for your update.

1. May I confirm the hardware and firmware version of all your Archer BE550?

2.Who is your ISP(internet service provider)?

3.Next time when the issue happens,  please connect a wired PC to your cable modem directly to check the internet access. If there is no internet, please contact your ISP.

4. If the internet is OK, please check the IP address on your PC and record the physical address.

5. If you are not sure the issue happens on which router, next time when the issue happens, please check whether both wired and wireless clients get no internet connection from main router.

Then connect your wired PC to the main router via ethernet cable, log into the web interface of the main router, check whether both satelliite routers show "offline". 

Or you may refer to this article for a basic troubleshooting. But as your network topology is more complex, we need to collect more information at the same time.

Options
2024-06-03 11:31:49

@Marvin_S hey,

Hardware Version : Archer BE550 v1.0
Firmware Version : 1.0.8 Build 20240226 rel.61914(5553)

Let me know how to check the firmware version on the satellite devices, I don't see that option in the admin UI.
The firmware is set to Auto update, so I assume it should be same on all devices, no?

my provider is Xfinity (a.k.a. Comcast). their Internet outages are extremely rare. so I doubt it is has anything to do with the provider.

bringing the wired computer to the cable modem is not practically possible. As I said, the issue is intermittent and also I don;t have any mobile devices with the Ethernet port.

Also, per your suggestion, I changed the name of the 6GHz network, I haven't noticed any interruptions since then.It's been a few days.

Options
2024-06-04 08:19:56

@zweibier 

Hi,thanks for your detailed feedback again.

The firmware version of the satellite routers should be the latest.

As not all clients can connect to 6Ghz wifi band, it is ok to set different wifi name from 2.4Ghz/5Ghz wifi band. You may keep monitoring the performance.

The purpose that we tried a lot troubleshooting is to find where the issue is. So if you can confirm the issue is from 2.4Ghz/5Ghz wifi band, please refer to the article and set different wifi names for further confirmation.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Options
14 hours ago

@zweibier I had a similar issue. Internet would go out for 2 minutes every 4 hours. Figured out it was the modem my fiber company gave me. I ended up removing the modem and plugging the internet directly into my router. No issues since. Just a fyi. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 973

Replies: 8

Related Articles