Can't find port of my IP camera

2024-05-28 17:05:29 - last edited 2024-05-29 03:12:43
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: .3.8 Build 20230830 rel.19767(4555)

I can see my IP camera and the IP address in devices and I want to be able to view remotely so I need to find the port to forward, but I can't see how I can find the port being used, can anyone point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can't find port of my IP camera-Solution
2024-05-28 23:07:19 - last edited 2024-05-29 03:12:43

@Pete999 

For IP cameras designed for personal use there are usually apps (for Android and iOS) from the manufacturer of the camera available that make viewing the live video from the camera over the Internet super easy.

Basically, create an user account via the app, bind the camera to it and that's it. No dealing with router settings or ports is necessary.

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Can't find port of my IP camera
2024-05-28 18:29:01

@Pete999 

Hi,

You should be able to find that information in the user manual or the management GUI of the IP camera.

If you tell us the make and model of your IP camera, then maybe someone here would be able to get that information for you.

Options
2024-05-28 18:41:35

woozle wrote

@Pete999 

Hi,

You should be able to find that information in the user manual or the management GUI of the IP camera.

If you tell us the make and model of your IP camera, then maybe someone here would be able to get that information for you.

@woozle  

hi there, many thanks for your reply, for some reason I thiought it was a router related thing, my camera is a Wansview G5 and the other is Galayou Y4.
i have noticed RTSP is on but can also have ONVIF which is off, are these relevant?

TIA

Options
2024-05-28 19:24:30

@Pete999 

Whether you need to activate RTSP or ONVIF depends on the software you use to access the video stream of the IP camera.

The port(s) used for the connection can usually be manually defined within the settings menu of an IP camera. The default port for RTSP might be 554. So, if you want to be able to access that camera via the Internet using software that uses the RTSP protocol, then you need to forward port 554 in your TP-Link router to the IP address of that IP camera.

Options
2024-05-28 20:08:25

@woozle thanks again for your help.

i was hoping to be able to install an ip camera in the bird box so my grandchildren can just log on with a browser and watch the chicks in action but I suspect that is going to be too complicated.

thanks again.

Options
Re:Can't find port of my IP camera-Solution
2024-05-28 23:07:19 - last edited 2024-05-29 03:12:43

@Pete999 

For IP cameras designed for personal use there are usually apps (for Android and iOS) from the manufacturer of the camera available that make viewing the live video from the camera over the Internet super easy.

Basically, create an user account via the app, bind the camera to it and that's it. No dealing with router settings or ports is necessary.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-05-29 19:07:21

woozle wrote

@Pete999 

@woozle many thanks, yes I had considered that but the kids are too young to have phones and I wanted them to be able to see it on a bigger screen. I have often seen how people had set up a site so that people can just connect to watch a something live on line like a nest or something but did not realise it was not so simple.

Options
2024-05-29 23:52:02

@Pete999 

It used to be quite simple about 10 years ago. I remember IP cameras of the time would have an internal webserver that could be reached by setting up port forwarding on the router. When the webpage showing the live video was accessed by someone for the first time, the web browser (usually Internet Explorer back then) would download the required ActiveX controls straight from the camera and install them. Then the video would start playing.

I am not sure if something similar could still be done nowadays, but from some point of time onwards the old way of installing third party plugins inside the web browser was considered to be too unsafe.

So, even if you had one of those old cameras, I doubt your kids would still be able to see the video with any current web browser.

Options
2024-05-29 23:53:00
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 777

Replies: 8

Related Articles