Deco X55 AP Mode

Deco X55 AP Mode

Deco X55 AP Mode
Deco X55 AP Mode
2024-05-29 15:28:46
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I currently have 7 x  X55 Decos configured in router mode with a main deco connected to my ISP's router creating a double NAT. My contracted internet speed is 500Mbps/500Mbps but when I perform speed tests I get ~300Mbps up/down. My hypothesis is that the double NAT is causing this performance decrease so I want to configure my Decos in AP mode but I have the following doubts:

My current network configuration

Ubiquity ONT->Microtik hAP AX3 -> Main Deco (#1) -> TP Link Switch -> Deco Node (#2)

-> TP Link Switch -> Deco Node (#3) -> Wireless Backhaul Deco Node (#6)

-> TP Link Switch -> Deco Node (#4) -> Wireless Backhaul Deco Node (#7)

-> TP Link Switch -> Deco Node (#5)

1. Will seamless transition (Mesh) still work in AP mode?

2. Do I need to reconfigure my Wifi network parameters (name/password/etc) after switching to AP mode?

3. Will the Decos currently connected through wireless backhaul still connect to the other nodes wirelessly or they need to be wired?

4. Can I remove the TP Link switch and instead connect the Decos to the Microtik?

Thanks,

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco X55 AP Mode
2024-05-29 17:28:20 - last edited 2024-05-29 19:18:01

@ramzinassar 

1. Yes.

2. No.

3. No change. All backhaul connections will stay as is. 

4. You can, but only if Microtik is compatible with Deco Ethernet backhaul. To find if it is, after you switched Deco to AP mode wire multiple Deco nodes to Microtik. If they all stay on Ethernet backhaul, it is compatible. 

Options
2024-06-01 04:39:08 - last edited 2024-06-01 04:43:37

Thanks  @Alexandre. I switched to AP mode and everything worked as you stated but my internet speed still remains below what I have contracted. My suspicious that the double NAT was affecting didn't hold true.

Another thing I observed is that I tried connecting one satellite Deco (Office Room) directly to the Microtik the same way as the "main" Deco (Cabling Room) but that satellite Deco still shows as it is connected to the main Deco. I thought in AP mode all Decos behave as nodes. See below image where Cabling Room deco is connected to the Microtik and I also connected the Office Room Deco to the Microtik but in the diagram it shows as it is connected to the Cabling Room Deco. I thought it would show connected directly to my internet (Microtik).

Options
2024-06-01 04:40:20

@Alexandre. See attached image 

Options
2024-06-01 13:59:44 - last edited 2024-06-01 14:17:49

ramzinassar wrote

Another thing I observed is that I tried connecting one satellite Deco (Office Room) directly to the Microtik the same way as the "main" Deco (Cabling Room) but that satellite Deco still shows as it is connected to the main Deco. I thought in AP mode all Decos behave as nodes. I thought it would show connected directly to my internet (Microtik).

@ramzinassar 

It is that way by design. If it helps, think about it this way: for Deco AP mode the diagram does not show where Satellite Deco is connected, it does show with which Deco this Satellite Deco communicates over Ethernet backhaul.

Even if you hardwire all your Deco like this:

they all will report connection to Main Deco on that diagram. It is because they communicate with Main Deco as a central management point.

When you wire them in daisy chain:

You should see the last Satellite Deco will report connection to Satellite Deco which is in the middle. 

Deco "Show Map" diagram does not show what Satellite Deco uses for backhaul, where there is more than 3 units total in Deco mesh. To see backhaul usage, select "Show List."

Example of "Show List:"

As long as hardwired Satellite Deco shows Ethernet backhaul, all is good.

------------------------

As for speed tests, Main Deco X55 can obviously deliver faster speeds than 300Mbps, on WiFi6. Satellite Deco with Ethernet backhaul will be as good as Main Deco. Satellite Deco on WiFi backhaul will deliver slower WiFi speeds than Main Deco.

You have complex network setup, I can't tell just looking at it why you are getting slow speeds. Try this for baseline speed test:

1. Disable 2.4GHz band for Main Network:

2. Power off all Satellite Deco. Keep just Main Deco running.

3. Bring device you run speeds tests on close to Main Deco.

4. Use Ookla speedtest app on device to run speed tests.

5. Reboot device (or turn its WiFi off/on) before running speed test.

6. Make sure device is connected to Main Network of Deco mesh.

With that setup if everything is right you should be getting 500Mbps/500Mbps over WiFi, which is the speed of your Internet link. 

Options
2024-06-01 14:57:29

Thanks @Alexandre. Very clear in the way the Deco App represents how the Decos are connected. The good news is that after connecting them to the Microtik Router and checking the Show List view, they all show as ethernet connected.

In regards to speed tests, I already tried the steps below but still can't go past 300Mbps. 

Options
2024-06-01 15:18:16

@ramzinassar 

I would recommend keeping Deco mesh in AP mode and connecting as many Satellite Deco to the the Microtik Router (instead of Main Deco) as you can. Regardless of speed test results.

As for speed tests, let's review what you have and should have, assuming you did speed test with Main Deco:

1. Deco X55 is capable of delivering 500Mbps over WiFi with ease. Even older, WiFi5 Deco mesh hardware, can do that.

2. Wired link between Main Deco and the Microtik Router is gigabit. With gigabit Ethernet it is easy: it's either gigabit or 100Mbps, nothing in between. Getting 300/300Mbps means wired link is gigabit, as it should be.

3. Do run same speed test with Satellite Deco that is hardwired to the Microtik Router. This is to exclude (unlikely) hardware issues with specific Deco unit which is Main Deco. I expect same test yield same result, but if Satellite delivers 500/500Mbps now it'll become interesting.

4. Check associated link speed of a wireless client for device you run speed tests on. See: How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client

For X55 supporting WiFi6, the link speed on device should be gigabit at least. Anything less than 860Mbps means device is connected over WiFi 5, under 300-400Mbps - on WiFi 2.4 GHz, or it means device is too far from Deco unit, or there is a lot of WiFi interference coming from somewhere.

-------------------------

Assuming you did all of the above, and WiFi link speed from device to X55 is at least gigabit, and Ethernet is proven to be gigabit, and nothing is wrong with Main Deco because Satellite also delivers 300/300Mbps - the suspect becomes one of two sides of speed testing: ISP or mobile device.

Are you sure your Internet link is 500/500 and not 300/300? How did you test it?

Do you have different mobile device to run speed tests on?

Options
2024-06-02 16:56:43

Hi  @Alexandre. 

1. Agree

2. Yes, its gigabit confirmed

3. Yes, same results. Around 300Mbps u/d

4. Associated/transmission speed is > gigabit

I am testing with a Pixel 7 pro and a Dell Laptop and got the same results.

I have narrowed it down to ISP being the problem based on these tests:

1. If I connect via wireless to the Microtik Router (802.11 ax) it gives me ~353 Mbps download/ 420 Mbps upload

2. If I connect via cable directly to the Microtik it gives me ~359 mbps download and 406 Mbps upload

I tested it with both: just one device connected and multiple devices connected.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 340

Replies: 7

Related Articles