AXE75 AXE5400 Constant Dropouts with EasyMesh

2024-06-03 05:09:46 - last edited 2024-06-03 05:21:23
Model: Archer AXE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.12

This is the EU hardware model.

I have recently installed the newest firmware that supports easymesh and wired backhaul on the axe5400 - so went down to the shop and got a re450 to try it out for a part of my house that doesn't normally get wifi. The re450 is in another room connected through twin power line adapters (PA71010P v1 on the 2017 firmware update).

After successful wireless pairing in a closer room, the home network falls to pieces as soon as it's moved to the other location that is connected via the powerline adapters.

Devices constantly drop in and out on wifi and attempting to access the router using the tether app can't find it either when this happens - even when using web only rather than through wifi. No error lights or similar seem to show on the router.

Then, as soon as you unplug the extender or put it in a closer room so it is using wifi rather than Ethernet backhaul through the powerline adapters, everything goes back to working normally again. When the system is online, the Ethernet symbol shows up on the web app with all blue lights on the extender so the Ethernet backhaul does appear to be working (if it didn't, it wouldn't be able to connect to the router due to range regardless).

Has this been encountered before/any suggestions on how to address?

I have tried updating all devices to latest firmware, factory reset them all a couple of different times etc, went with sharing the 2.4ghz/5ghz ssid and splitting it, the result is the same. I will try to plug it via direct ethernet from the router to see if that works and update this too.

I wondered if it might be a similar situation to this, but i updated the firmware on the powerline adapters and factory reset them, re-paired and the issue persisted:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/620116?replyId=1245044

Edit: Have now done direct ethernet to the adapter and it seems to work fine, giving the desired ethernet symbol with no dropouts, so presumably this is something to do with the powerline adapters causing havoc. Note: In that room, I have a desktop computer which has worked fine in this configuration for a number of years.

Options
3 Reply
Re:AXE75 AXE5400 Constant Dropouts with EasyMesh
2024-06-04 08:42:25 - last edited 2024-06-04 08:51:53

@NotVeryTechSavy 

Hi, thanks for posting question on our community.

According to your detailed description, we can clearly find out the problem. Archer AXE75 supports Easymesh Ethernet backhual. But RE450 only supports Easymesh wireless backhaul.

The powerline devices TL-PA7010P KIT work via powerline transmission, not normal Ethernet connection.

So if you plug RE450 into TL-PA7010P and want set up the Ethernet connection between main router and the extender, it is infeasible.

BTW, another thread you mentioned is different from your situation.

Options
2024-06-04 09:01:58
Hi Marvin Thanks for responding. I’m just trying to get my head around your response: 1. You say the re450 doesn’t support wired backhaul but it seems to do it as the router shows it connected via Ethernet on the easymesh page (see attached above). Is this a not officially supported but actually works situation, or is that not actually what is happening here? 2. There are lots of examples of people using Ethernet over Power for mesh networks on the internet (though potentially not using easymesh), and when whatever is happening that is causing issues with the router isn’t happening (about 1% of the time…) - the coverage is good. If the adapters are able to send the appropriate information between each other (which they’ve been able to do for an Ethernet-only network for years), I don’t understand why it can’t also handle backhaul… Am I misinterpreting something?
Options
2024-06-19 08:01:06

@NotVeryTechSavy 

Hi, thanks for your update.

I am afraid that you mixed the working principle of the 2 network devices. Your powerline adapters/extenders do not support Ethernet backhaul. Or we do not call it as Ethernet backhaul. They only works via powerline transmission.

Yes, you can connect a PC or a wired device to the powerline unit to get internet access. But a range extender is different, which is not a normal client which only get internet access. 

What we know is that a range extender is used to extend wifi range of main network, so it is suggested to plug it in normal power socket. If you plug in into a powerline adapter, which will not work via ethernet backhaul as you want , because they are not related.

Options