Linux Mint Driver

Linux Mint Driver
Linux Mint Driver
2024-06-06 15:21:28 - last edited 2024-06-07 05:53:09
Model: Archer T2UB Nano  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi there,

I know  "TP-Link Archer T2UB Nano AC600 Nano Wi-Fi Bluetooth 4.2" has no out of the box driver for Linux Mint (v21.3),

does anyone know another approach to get the driver?

On internet I found a ostechnix website  "Install TP-Link AC600 Archer T2U Nano WiFi USB Adapter In Linux"

This one describes T2U not the one I am looking for T2UB, I guess the missing B is about Bluetooth, right?

However I have applied the steps described on that web page.

Using Terminal  it responded to "sudo lshw -C communication" following ...

description: Bluetooth wireless interface
       product: 802.11ac NIC
       vendor: Realtek
       physical id: 3
       bus info: usb@2:1.3
       version: 2.00
       serial: 123456
       capabilities: usb-2.00 bluetooth
       configuration: driver=btusb maxpower=500mA speed=480Mbit/s

But  still: on my Linux Mint the standard wifi device is active and not the one with TPLINK

There is no choice within network settings to choose the TPLink / Realtek one.

Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks, Kalem

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Linux Mint Driver -Solution
2024-06-06 18:36:51 - last edited 2024-06-07 05:53:09

@KalemKutu 

Hi,

These 2-in-1 combo devices require separate drivers for the Wi-Fi part and the Bluetooth part.

It appears you have only the "Bluetooth wireless interface" installed. 

Besides, what determines the proper driver to be used is the hardware ID of a device.
As per the webpage you referenced the ID of a Archer T2U Nano is "2357:011e".
The ID of your T2UB Nano must surely be different, because it uses a different chip.

So, please run the lsusb command like they did on that webpage and report back the ID of your T2UB Nano.

You can also see for yourself if you can find a driver by google'ing for "Linux driver [the ID of the T2UB Nano]".

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Linux Mint Driver -Solution
2024-06-06 18:36:51 - last edited 2024-06-07 05:53:09

@KalemKutu 

Hi,

These 2-in-1 combo devices require separate drivers for the Wi-Fi part and the Bluetooth part.

It appears you have only the "Bluetooth wireless interface" installed. 

Besides, what determines the proper driver to be used is the hardware ID of a device.
As per the webpage you referenced the ID of a Archer T2U Nano is "2357:011e".
The ID of your T2UB Nano must surely be different, because it uses a different chip.

So, please run the lsusb command like they did on that webpage and report back the ID of your T2UB Nano.

You can also see for yourself if you can find a driver by google'ing for "Linux driver [the ID of the T2UB Nano]".

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Linux Mint Driver
2024-06-07 06:05:20 - last edited 2024-06-07 06:31:02

Hi @woozle , thank you for your feedback.

# 1

when I run lsusb, I get:

Bus 002 Device 007: ID 0bda:c820 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 802.11ac NIC

# 2
when I google for: Linux driver 0bda:c820 I found the following website

h... //forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=405157

I run following commands:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install build-essential git dkms
git clone https://github.com/brektrou/rtl8821CU.git
cd rtl8821CU
chmod +x dkms-install.sh
sudo ./dkms-install.sh
sudo modprobe 8821cu

Now it works. Linux Mint recognizes the USB Wifi device.

But the speed is very slow.

- Onboard Wifi: 2.4GHz => Download: around 40MBit

- TPLink USB Wifi: 2.4GHz => Download: around 10MBit

- TPLink USB Wifi: 5GHz => Download: around 40MBit

When I test the 5GHz Speed on my Mac, I get 250 MBit.

Both computer are on the same table.

Any Idea how I can increase the speed? 

Options
2024-06-07 18:28:55

@KalemKutu 

Can you please place the computer with the T2UB Nano very close to the Wi-Fi router and then test the speed again?

If the speed goes up when the computer is adjacent to the Wi-Fi router, then it is a reception issue.

If the speed remains roughly the same, even when the computer is near the Wi-Fi router, then it is likely a driver issue.

What you could try is to uninstall brektrou's driver and install the one maintained by morrownr instead. ( https://github.com/morrownr/8821cu-20210916 )

Options
2024-06-08 06:11:25

@woozle 

Thank you sooo much! :)

Let me describe the outcome: 

# Using the initial driver https://github.com/brektrou/rtl8821CU.git:

- When I was in my office (doors are open) around 6m distance, the download speed was x

- When I get close to the wifi router (10 cm) , the download speed went up to 2x

# Using your suggested driver https://github.com/morrownr/8821cu-20210916:

On each location, the download speed is around 1,5 faster than values above. Its amazing ! 

So the driver you recommended is the best one!

Kalem

PS: For those who might be interested: 

sudo apt install git dkms
cd ~
git clone https://github.com/morrownr/8821cu-20210916.git
cd 8821cu-20210916
chmod +x install-driver.sh
sudo ./install-driver.sh

--- 

At the end I was asked to edit options.

I did not add/change anything, just closed the settings.

Finally I rebooted my notebook!

Options
a week ago

@KalemKutu I have a question about the driver for this product. I am new to Linux (I use Mint which is expected because I'm in this forum rn) but I don't know much about how these operating systems work, especially software and/or driver downloads on Linux. I just bought the AC600 archer nano and got it today because the laptop that I put Linux on I decided to leave as a dualboot with windows; however, Linux refuses to acknowledge the WiFi adapter that's built into my laptop so I decided to get the usb (I have no idea if it's supposed to work or not since Linux won't even recognize the built-in one). I followed all of your instructions (and the other person's too) which worked like a charm (thanks), but I ran into an odd situation where secure UEFI did something with the installation of the driver and it still doesn't work after installing it. I don't know what to do/what I did wrong but at least my laptop isn't bricked... do you have any ideas/suggestions?

Options
a week ago

@hayd188 

Hi hayd188, I am not an expert. No idea what even your question means.

But i asked your question to Artificial Intelligence, and here is the answer.

###

It sounds like you're dealing with two potential issues:

1. Secure Boot (UEFI): Linux distributions like Mint often have trouble with drivers when Secure Boot is enabled. The Secure Boot feature prevents the operating system from loading drivers that aren't signed, which can be the case for some third-party drivers, especially for WiFi adapters.

To fix this, you can try disabling Secure Boot in your BIOS/UEFI settings. This usually resolves the issue of drivers not working. Here's how you can do that:

• Restart your laptop and enter the BIOS/UEFI settings (usually by pressing a key like F2, Esc, or Del while booting).
    • Look for the Secure Boot option, which is often in the "Security" or "Boot" tab.
    • Disable it, save your changes, and reboot.

Once Secure Boot is disabled, try reinstalling the driver again.

2. Built-in WiFi Adapter: It's a bit odd that Linux isn't recognizing your built-in WiFi adapter. You might want to check which WiFi chipset your laptop uses. You can do this by running the following command in the terminal:

bash

lspci -nnk | grep -i network -A3

This will show the network adapter info, and you can look up whether Linux supports it or if you need a specific driver.

If disabling Secure Boot doesn't solve the issue, let me know the result of the above command, and we can dig deeper into finding the right driver for both your built-in and USB WiFi adapters.

###

Good Luck!

Options
a week ago

Network adapter and CPU  @KalemKutu Thank you for replying so fast! Unfortunately, after disabling secure boot, nothing has happened still. I did go ahead and do the second thing that you asked about but I don't know what it's meant to mean, so I'll upload a screenshot for your convenience.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1680

Replies: 7

Related Articles