X20 as a main and P7 as range extender
X20 as a main and P7 as range extender
2024-06-20 18:24:28
Tags: #Network Connectivity #Range extender
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: Latest

Hello, 

Initially it had a mesh network made up of 4 Deco P7 units. As I have an area with little signal in the garage, I decided to buy a Deco X20 and configure it as the main one. The original P7 unit would be a network extender.

The problem is that this unit only connects to one of the P7 satellites if it is in the same room. In the room right next door, it does not connect (blinking red light), 2 or 3 meters away from the satellite, and there is a Wi-Fi signal at least 15 meters away.

My initial idea was to place this P7 a few meters further away to reinforce the signal in this region, connecting only via Wi-Fi, with the function of a range extender.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Options
6 Reply
Re:X20 as a main and P7 as range extender
2024-06-21 09:10:45

@rs2112ss 

Hi,

If it has a blinking red light when you place it in the next room and becomes green when you relocate it back to the same room as the main Deco, then it means the signal is poor at the room next door. 

Something like a thick wall in between may affect the wireless signal.

If you still want to place it at this certain place, it would be better that you connect it via Ethernet cable.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-06-22 04:22:00 - last edited 2024-06-22 04:23:46

@Sunshine 

Hello,

Thanks for the answer.

It is not possible to use an ethernet cable in this place.

What I find strange is that in the room next door, where I try to connect the P9 (the garage), there is a tesla that normally connects to the internet and two other rooms next to the garage (farther away from the first one with the working P7) have two IOT (SONOFF devices) that connect to the P7 satellite (this connected via ethernet).

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Options
2024-06-22 10:14:17

@rs2112ss Are you using the PowerLine feature of the P7?

You mentioned P9 in the discussion.  Do you have a mix of P7 and P9?

When the "oldmain" P7 is in the same room as another satellite P7, how does it connect to it (Ethernet, PowerLine, wifi)?

Options
2024-06-22 10:20:14

@rs2112ss Did you try installing the X20 in the garage, or as the satellite closest to the garage?

You did not describe your setup, and it is perhaps optimal to install the X20 where you require the best wifi transmission.

Also, I read that, in order to use the PowerLine capability of the P7, a P7 must be the main Deco.

Options
2024-06-22 15:01:38

@rs2112ss 

Sorry for the mistake.... I have 4 P7 and 1 X20.

I will try your suggestion.

Thanks 

Options
2024-07-14 10:46:14

@rs2112ss 

To optimize your Deco X20 and P7 setup, ensure proper Maintenance and placement. The P7 should be within effective range of the X20, ideally not obstructed by walls. Try placing the P7 closer to the X20 to maintain a strong connection. If issues persist, updating the firmware or resetting the devices might help.

Options