M4R ethernet backhaul problem

2024-07-12 20:56:39 - last edited 2024-07-18 01:10:35
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I have two Deco M4s for the last two years, and configured as access points using ethernet backhaul. Lately the satellite deco got unstable. It works fine for several hours than starts to blink red and sometimes even solid red. I had times where it was blinking red while the connection was ok and even vice versa, solid white but no connection. Both main and satellite decos are connected directly to the ZTE modem supplied by the ISP. The satellite deco keeps losing ethernet connection and somehow connects via wifi. I tried to reset both and installed from scratch, it worked fine like two days though ended up the same way. The decos are updated and at the latest firmware. It isngiving me a really hardtime so any help will be much appreciated. 

Options
6 Reply
Re:M4R ethernet backhaul problem
2024-07-13 07:16:40

@Esquire In Ethernet backhaul, the satellite decos have to be connected to other satellite Deco, or the main Deco

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options
2024-07-13 14:58:30

@ImtiazAli thank you for your response. In the general questions about ethernet backhaul document it writes "When the Deco is configured in Access Point mode, you can wire satellite Deco nodes to any Deco unit, or the main modem/router." I am also using access point mode. Besides I have been using this setup for two years even with a switch in between.

Options
2024-07-15 06:52:14

@Esquire 

Hi,

Is the ZTE modem a modem router or a pure modem?

As you mentioned that there is also a switch, please also provide your network topology.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-07-15 11:22:25

@Sunshine thank you very much for response. It is a  H3600 V9 model and in the GUI it is specified that the work mode as controller(router).

At the moment both M4s are directly connected to the ZTE modem. Yes there is a switch and it is also directly connnected to the modem but the decos are not on the switch. (They were on the switch before though until the problem occured). I tried to give a topology below, hopefully it is understandable. If not I can draw on visio and share it as a picture.

I---> base deco M4

I

ZTE Modem(Router) ------------I---> satellite deco M4

I

I---> switch -----> TV, apple TV, computer, etc.

Options
2024-07-16 01:43:36 - last edited 2024-07-18 01:10:35

@Esquire 

Hi,

Please test different Ethernet cables and connect to different LAN ports on the ZTE modem(router).

And you can also exchange the location of the main Deco and the satellite Deco unit.

Besides, may I also know the MAC address of your satellite Deco? Please send me the MAC via message

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-07-17 10:25:22

Hi @Sunshine,

I already moved the satellite to different locations within the house and also different ports on the modem. I already tried to switch the satellite and main roles between the devices, though it was a disaster back then. Now I moved the satellite to just on the main (different floors), and it is working as wireless although the cable is connected. It occurs to me that there is a hardware or firmware problem on the satellite deco avoiding it to connect via ethernet. 

I am sending you the mac address of the satellite deco as requested. Thank you for your support.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 274

Replies: 6

Related Articles