Archer C5400 V2 Slows Down Until Reboot Consistently

2024-07-20 18:18:26 - last edited 2024-08-02 06:20:41
Model: Archer C5400  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.9 Build 20230907 rel.96516

I have an Archer C5400 V2, and have used the same through multiple firmwares, currently on the newest 1.2.9. Regardless of the firmware used, the router will over a period of time, sometimes 6 hours, sometimes 2 days, slow down the internet speed until it gets down to 200 mbps. For reference, I currently have 600 mbps internet. Restarting the modem does nothing to change it, and restarting the router instantly reverts the speed to the proper speed (around 600). I've tried several factory resets, and as I said, several different firmwares (and for that fact several different internet companies / modems), and nothing changes this. The speed always slows down to under 200 until I reboot the router.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C5400 V2 Slows Down Until Reboot Consistently-Solution
2024-08-02 06:20:30 - last edited 2024-08-02 06:20:41

@Captroper 

Hi, thanks for your detailed update.

I am afraid the router seems defective and you may consider a brand-new if the speed performance influenced your internet experience a lot.

It is suggested to contact local support when similiar issue happens at the beginning to avoid warranty expiration.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer C5400 V2 Slows Down Until Reboot Consistently
2024-07-22 18:29:47

This has been the case since at least 2020 (purchased the router in 2019). Is it just broken?

Options
2024-07-30 02:12:33

@Captroper 

Hi, thanks for posting question here.

If you are experiencing slow Internet speed with your TP-Link Archer Router, here are some steps to help troubleshoot the issue:

1. Please use https://www.speedtest.net or the speedtest APP/CLI(https://www.speedtest.net/apps) for testing speed accurately.

2. Please make sure the speed of your ISP/Modem is good and stable by connecting a PC directly into the ISP Modem/Router.

3. To verify wired(Ethernet) speed of your Router, please connect the PC directly into the LAN ports of the Router, make sure all Ethernet cables are CAT5E and above.

4. When testing with wireless, please connect your phone/laptop to the high speed network (5G/6G) instead of 2.4G. In order to reach maximum throughput over wireless, put the phone/Laptop next to the Router.

6. Here are some tips which might improve the speed of your Archer Router:

1) If Ethernet speed is slower than expected, please try different Ethernet cables (CAT5E or above) on the Router.

2) Disable QoS, please access http://tplinkwifi.net and go to Advanced >> QoS to disable it.

3) Disable Parental Control, please go to Advanced >> Parental Control to disable it.

4) If wireless speed is slower than expected, please go to Advanced >> Wireless Settings to change the 5GHz Wi-Fi channel, you may try different channels to find the best one for your environment.

5) Disable SIP ALG and UPNP, please go to Advanced >> NAT Forwarding >> UPNP to disable UPNP, go to Advance >> Security to disable SIP ALG.

6) Try a few other speedtest servers, other servers might reach better speeds.

Options
2024-07-30 15:53:48

@Marvin_S 

Hi Marvin, thanks for the reply. To answer your points in order:

1. I always use speedtest.net and the results are consistent regardless of server chosen

2. I have connected the PC directly to the modem (circumventing the router) when I have this issue and the speed does in fact go back up. I have also had multiple ISPs and modems. The problem is definitely on the side of the router

3. All ethernet cables are Cat6

4. I'm not using wireless at all, only wired.

6. I have tried different cables, with the same result. My router doesn't have the ability to disable QOS, in 'application priority' I set the total bandwidth for upload and download to 999Mbps, and changed the priority for every setting to the highest. Parental control is already disabled.

I just disabled SIP ALG and UPNP, and it did not change the speedtest result (still under 200Mbps). Restarting the router after doing so of course did reset it to the proper speed (over 500Mbps), but that is what happens every time I restart the router. I'll report back next time it goes down unless it miraculously does not with those two changes in which case I'll report back in a week or so noting that it's functioning properly.

Options
2024-07-31 19:45:23

@Marvin_S 

Hi Marvin,

As expected it has once again reverted to under 200Mbps.

Best,

Adam

Options
Re:Archer C5400 V2 Slows Down Until Reboot Consistently-Solution
2024-08-02 06:20:30 - last edited 2024-08-02 06:20:41

@Captroper 

Hi, thanks for your detailed update.

I am afraid the router seems defective and you may consider a brand-new if the speed performance influenced your internet experience a lot.

It is suggested to contact local support when similiar issue happens at the beginning to avoid warranty expiration.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 177

Replies: 5

Related Articles