Wont auto connect to AP with better signal

2024-07-23 07:23:58 - last edited 2024-07-24 02:47:57
Model: EAP610  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, if I am connected to an AP and walk away from it towards another AP, the signal to the old AP is say -65 but the new AP would be -30 as I am right in front of it, and it still wont auto connect to the AP with the better signal. Is there a way around that?

All roaming options are enabled and you can see in the logs that clients are roaming.

Also I an running the software controller in one case and RSSI Threshold doesnt appear to be working when set to -75.

Clients are staying connected at -127 for example. With the OC200 on another site it seems to work.

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Wont auto connect to AP with better signal-Solution
2024-07-24 02:47:34 - last edited 2024-07-24 02:47:57

@BahamasTech 

There is an article that explains why clients fail to roam to the nearest AP; please read it.

Why my clients don't roam or connect to the nearest AP

It could be because of the client mechanism that forbids roaming, as the article suggests. Please also verify whether the client has been locked to a certain AP. It is recommended to set the RSSI threshold to -60 or reduce the remote AP's transmission power. You can set it to medium.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Wont auto connect to AP with better signal-Solution
2024-07-24 02:47:34 - last edited 2024-07-24 02:47:57

@BahamasTech 

There is an article that explains why clients fail to roam to the nearest AP; please read it.

Why my clients don't roam or connect to the nearest AP

It could be because of the client mechanism that forbids roaming, as the article suggests. Please also verify whether the client has been locked to a certain AP. It is recommended to set the RSSI threshold to -60 or reduce the remote AP's transmission power. You can set it to medium.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Wont auto connect to AP with better signal
2024-07-24 03:36:10 - last edited 2024-07-24 03:38:27

@Hank21 

Thanks for the reply. I read the article and everything checks out on this end.

I do have Threshold set to -75 but if I do -50 for example they get disconnected too soon or not at all.

In this case its an old Hotel with solid concrete walls with tons of steel in the walls too, so full signal strength is needed or it only handles 1 room.

Signal is generally in the 60s due to all the concrete (based on the connected clients in the controller software).

APs are outside or in hallways, just replaced old routers - previously each router had its own SSID, so there was no roaming.

Not all have been replaced yet, still deciding on whether to get the AX1800/3000 outdoor or the AX6000 indoor which is more powerful. Currenly all 5 are the AX1800 indoor.

I just noticed when I was standing right in front of an AP with a -30 signal I was still connected to the other one with a -64 signal for example.

So next question does the Threshold disconnect you even if there is no other AP around, as thats what it seems like?

Also when I initially had the APs at this Hotel as standalone (OC200 got lost in shipping) I did not see any Threshold setting. Does that mean the controller controls that feature?

Thanks.

Options
Re:Wont auto connect to AP with better signal
2024-07-24 07:57:07

@BahamasTech 

RSSI threshold is supported both on Controller and EAPs in Standalone mode, but can only be configured on Controller. If the Omada Controller is offline, configuration keeps working. How about you disable fast roaming? Will it roam to the nearest AP? If clients connected to the AP have a signal that is lower than the RSSI threshold, they will be disconnected.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 169

Replies: 3

Related Articles