Does Archer A7 support guest WiFi in AP mode?

2024-08-12 20:53:16 - last edited 2024-08-13 06:34:35
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a spare Archer A7 that I am considering using as an access point to create a guest 5 GHz WiFi network in a remote part of the house. The A7 would be hardwired to my primary router using the LAN ports. Does the A7 support guest WiFi while in AP mode? I noticed this topic came up several times when I searched the community but the latest update I saw was that TP-Link engineers were working on this issue. Any further updates available?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Does Archer A7 support guest WiFi in AP mode?
2024-08-13 14:05:26

@WifiFan 

Archer A7 should support guest wireless network in AP mode.

Use this guide for configuring AP mode. Keep in mind that when in AP mode guest network is not isolated from your main network.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-08-13 15:59:30

@terziyski Keeping the guest access isolated from the rest of the network is a requirement. If this isn't possible while the A7 is in AP mode, are there any other configurations using the A7 as a secondary router that would create a guest WiFi while maintaining isolation? 

Options
2024-08-13 17:02:12 - last edited 2024-08-13 20:42:31

@WifiFan 

Sure, as long as you use the A7 in router mode, the guest network can be isolated.

Just connect your main touter LAN port to A7 WAN port and configure as standard - details (use Dynamic IP).

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-08-13 18:53:45

@terziyski My intent was to keep my primary downstairs router as the main router and only use the A7 to create a secondary guest network, with the two routers connected with an ethernet cable. Can the A7 be used in router mode in this configuration? If so, any link to a guide on how to configure the router(s)? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 193

Replies: 4

Related Articles