AX53 WAN Connection Issues (Drops with Orange LED)

2024-08-19 14:19:54 - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: Archer AX53  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.4 Build 20240509 rel.64683(4555)

Hello,

I have similar issues with others in here; for no apparent reason, the connection between TP-Link and My Modem drops. The connection LED goes orange and every communication between tp-link and Modem stops. 

I have contacted my ISP about the issue and they swapped my Modem with a different and newer model. However, the issue persists. The setup looks like this;

Internet

Connected

Internet Connection Type:

Static IP

IP Address:

Subnet Mask:

Default Gateway:

Primary DNS:

Secondary DNS:

Online Duration:

6 Minutes

LAN

MAC Address:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

IP Address:

Subnet Mask:

- I was using OpenDNS but switched to cloudflare and Google just to be sure. didnt work

- I set to Internet Port Negotiation Speed Setting to 1000 full duplex. it was on auto. didnt work

- I cloned my modem's MAC.. testing this right now but shouldnt be needed as I'm NAT'ting it and modem is not on bridge mode

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:AX53 WAN Connection Issues (Drops with Orange LED)-Solution
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@Marvin_S 

I waited out a day just to be sure but I think the problem is solved. You might ask how, I have no idea. Thursday night I stayed up and tried everything all over again; switched between dynamic and static IP, tried different DNS including the ones ISP assigns, changed cables order and replugged them.. I also got ISP recalibrate signals. 

During whole Friday and today, no Orange LEDs.Now, AX53 has static IP, using my own DNS as primary and Google as alternative and cables are in same order and same cables before problem happened. The changes are, the modem is renewed in the process and I had to unplug some ethernet cable which I think it's some ISP's cable. The guy that switched the modem plugged it in and it was plugged in for years on old modem too...

Anyways, now it's working fine and as ISP not complaining about unplugged cable, I'll stick with the golden rule, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

Thanks for tips and your time

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:AX53 WAN Connection Issues (Drops with Orange LED)
3 weeks ago

@tcagrie 

Hi, thanks for posting question on our community.

Sorry that I failed to understand your last sentence. Is your modem a modem router? 

Did you change different Ethernet cables to connect AX53 and your modem? If your modem is a modem router, can you try AX53 to connect different LAN ports on the modem?

And when the interne drops, please connect a PC to the modem directly via Ethernet cable to check the stability. If no internet access, you may still need to contact ISP. If the internet works and IPv4 on PC is valid, you may try MAC Clone referring to this article.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Marvin_S 

I made a drawing about the situation. I cannot remove modem as I have a fiber cable coming to the modem. The ISP is mumbling something about signal levels but It was working fine.

Options
3 weeks ago

@tcagrie 

Hi, I think I did not suggest you to remove your modem.
Did you try my suggestions above?

The most important troubleshooting step is, if your modem is a modem router and your PC can get internet access when it is connected to your modem directly, when the interne drops, please connect a PC to the modem directly via Ethernet cable to check the stability. If no internet access, it is suggested to need to contact ISP. If the internet works , you may try MAC Clone (your PC) referring to this article.

You may also contact local support for some advice.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Marvin_S 

Yes, I tried to change the cable. I changed both the cable between my pc and ax-53 and the cable between ax-53 and modem. nothing has changed

Yes, modem is a router modem

Yes, I tried to change ports, nothing has changed

Yes, when LED goes Orange, unplugging from ax-53 and plugging to modem works. Actually, the Wi-Fi of the new modem is enabled and I can use modem's wireless while the LED goes orange on ax-53... This part also revealed that I have some instability with my connection as well. The ISP will work on it but ax-53 loses connection every minute while modem loses connection once a day or not even once.

I'm posting this using modem's Wi-Fi as my pc is connected to ax-53 and it decided to go orange again.

I suppose I don't need to mention that I have other devices connected to ax-53 via ethernet. I have a NAS and Raspberry Pi (v2) that needs to be at the same network with my pc and other devices. They need to be accessable from outside as well. So, giving my PC's MAC to ax-53 won't solve it. It's already modem's MAC entered in ax-53 anyway.

On a side note, as far as I understood from this forums, this is an ongoing situation from 2020. Yes, it's not 100% Tp-Link's fault but so far, it did not get fixed non neither. I'm using this connection for business purposes (working remotely) as well. I'm needed in online meetings that can span to whole day and/or keep the VPN up all day. Constant drops are not acceptable.

I typed this in 17 minutes and the LED danced from Green to Orange and back to Green 5 times. Now it's orange again..

Options
3 weeks ago
I tried to set Internet to Dynamic IP aswell. Did not solve it.
Options
3 weeks ago

@tcagrie 

Hi, thanks for your detailed feedback again.

Can you share the model of your modem(router)? And who is your ISP?

I afraid that I have to confirm one thing again. If you connect your wired devices to your modem router via Ethernet cable, can you get stable internet connection?

When did you purchase AX53?  Can it  work properly in the past?

Thanks for your cooperation~

Options
3 weeks ago

@Marvin_S 

The modem is Netmaster Infinity 401. https://www.turksatkablo.com.tr/userUpload/sayfa/internet/kk/kk_infinity401.pdf It's in Turkish but as it's PDF I think It can be auto translated. The modem was older model but it got switched to this one as ISP thought the older modem (5 years old or maybe older) was causing this issue. So 2 modems, same issue.

The ISP is Turksat, the service is called "Kablonet".

My other wired devices has similar issues. Because the problem breaks the connection between modem and router. So, anything connected to ax53 be it wired or wireless, loses connection.

I bought the router off of Amazon, 23rd February 2024. It was working fine.

I checked windows event logs and there are numerous DNS errors followed by link down events. It looks like I have 2 issues;

• AX53 loses connection due some problem with DNS and/or connection stability issues between router and modem
  • Modem loses internet connection due some other issues (signal problems probably, ISP investigating it).

These are separate issues as I can see when AX53 loses connection I can connect directly to modem's wifi and have internet connection.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Marvin_S 

They fixed the signal issue but the problem persists. 

As nothing changed for about 4 hours, I went back to Static IP with my set of DNS. I'm using PiHole on Pi as primary DNS and Google's (8.8.8.8) as second.

Options
3 weeks ago

@tcagrie 

I really appreciate your efforts, while wired and wireless connection are two things. When the internet drops, wireless connection to your modem is good does not mean the wired connection to your modem is good.

Options
Re:AX53 WAN Connection Issues (Drops with Orange LED)-Solution
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@Marvin_S 

I waited out a day just to be sure but I think the problem is solved. You might ask how, I have no idea. Thursday night I stayed up and tried everything all over again; switched between dynamic and static IP, tried different DNS including the ones ISP assigns, changed cables order and replugged them.. I also got ISP recalibrate signals. 

During whole Friday and today, no Orange LEDs.Now, AX53 has static IP, using my own DNS as primary and Google as alternative and cables are in same order and same cables before problem happened. The changes are, the modem is renewed in the process and I had to unplug some ethernet cable which I think it's some ISP's cable. The guy that switched the modem plugged it in and it was plugged in for years on old modem too...

Anyways, now it's working fine and as ISP not complaining about unplugged cable, I'll stick with the golden rule, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

Thanks for tips and your time

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 268

Replies: 11

Related Articles