Blocked users changing its mac address
3 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: Archer C64  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.13

Hi TPLINK Community,

Good morning!

I have a concern on my Archer Wifi.

-UserA - Connected to my Tplink wifi, i clicked the blocked user and he/she keeps changing mac address to reconnect on my wifi.

Is there a way to solved this?

I tried the allow list or address reservation etc. Before consulting this community or proper way of using it because the mac address change on the connected device is the biggest problem if all tutorials on YT is based only on mac addresses

Have a nice day.

Thank you tplink.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Blocked users changing its mac address-Solution
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@ITSA 

Hi,

Yes, this has been an issue for all network administrators alike, no matter whether they use hardware from TP-Link or any other hardware vendor.

The only way to solve this in Wi-Fi networks that use WPA/WPA2/WPA3-Personal would be to use "white list" (allow list) instead of "black list" (deny list).
You will have to ask your users to switch off "Random MAC address" or "Random hardware addresses" (or whatever it is called in the particular operating system) on their devices for the SSID of your Wi-Fi network and after they have done so you add them to the Allow List.

Recommended Solution
Options

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply

@ITSA 

Hi,

Yes, this has been an issue for all network administrators alike, no matter whether they use hardware from TP-Link or any other hardware vendor.

The only way to solve this in Wi-Fi networks that use WPA/WPA2/WPA3-Personal would be to use "white list" (allow list) instead of "black list" (deny list).
You will have to ask your users to switch off "Random MAC address" or "Random hardware addresses" (or whatever it is called in the particular operating system) on their devices for the SSID of your Wi-Fi network and after they have done so you add them to the Allow List.

Recommended Solution
Options

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Blocked users changing its mac address
2 weeks ago

@woozle 

Thank you for the response, appreciated so much. My officemates are all knowledgable in changing their mac addresses, after been blocked them to my main router, it's been a nightmare for me.

But do tplink wifi routers have a way to eliminate wifi password sharing thru QRCode? 

Any recommendations is very appreciated

Thank you have a nice day.

Options
Re:Blocked users changing its mac address
2 weeks ago

@ITSA 

Hi, I agree on what @woozle said.

Besides, what about hiding SSID? Then other people can not see your wireless network.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 157

Replies: 4

Related Articles