Installation with a Bell (Canada) Giga Hub

2 weeks ago
Tags: #Installation #Presales #Bell Giga Hub
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I intend to buy a 3-pack Deco XE75 Pro to extend the range of my Bell GigaHub, most particularly into the back yard where it currently dies.  My Giga Hub serves a well-populated smart home of currently 20-25 devices, which (for historical reasons) populate a set of mostly fixed (but also some dynamic) IP addresses in the range 192.168.2.X.  Again, for reasons I don't want to get into here, I don't want to have to change those IP addresses.  I know enough about networking to sound as though I ought to know a lot more, but in fact I don't, and I am at this point totally confused about the precise sequence of steps I have to follow to install a 3-pack Deco XE75 Pro in my home setup.

Ideally, I'd use the XE75 as a WiFi range extender, but I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't work that way, and I will have to either (i) turn off the WiFi on my Bell Giga Hub, or else (ii) have it operate with a different SSID/password, and serve a different set of IP addresses.  [Question:  If option (ii), and the GigaHub serves IP addresses 192.168.1.X with its own SSID/password, will devices that connect to one of those networks be able to communicate with the devices connected to the other?]

Can someone please walk me through the optimum installation/setup sequence?  I'm very concerned that I might do something that I will find myself unable to recover from!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Installation with a Bell (Canada) Giga Hub
2 weeks ago

@Richard_M 

Hi,

Most Deco models are for indoors using, and if you want to extend the internet to outside the building, you can consider on this model, Deco X50-Outdoor.

And for your case, it is recommended to set up the Deco in AP mode, which means the Deco system will not create its own subnet but purely forward data between the root router and the clients. And the Bell GigaHub will still work as the only DHCP server in your network.

How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2 weeks ago
I don't have an ethernet backhaul in my house, so I would have to site one of the Deco units pretty much right next to my Bell Giga Hub. Isn't that going to be a concern in AP mode?
Options
2 weeks ago

@Richard_M 

I wouldn't think so, if Deco is on AP mode turn off the wifi on your Bell Giga Hub.

BT Full fibre 500, 2x M9 Plus V2 and 1x X60 V3.2 in AP mode connected to Archer C80.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 163

Replies: 3

Tags

Related Articles