Archer BE550 Wifi bands and travel

2024-09-19 19:11:37 - last edited Monday
Model: Archer BE550  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello all!

Planning to buy an Archer BE550 router here(Indiana) but I would probably be moving around with it,including to Europe. I was wondering if the regions in the settings are changeable, and will it also change the bandwith options in case of setting it to EU? I understood the legislation alows different bandwiths there than here.

Cheers!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer BE550 Wifi bands and travel-Solution
2024-09-19 20:48:13 - last edited Monday

@Csakzozo 

Hi,

Unfortunately, the times when the stock firmware of routers allowed the user to select a region of his/her own choice are long gone. (perhaps around 10 years already)

Furthermore, I am also not aware of any recent router model that would allow changing the region by installing an official firmware designed for a different region. Either the region setting is baked directly into the router or installing a firmware of another region is being blocked and trying to do so will just result in an error message being shown.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer BE550 Wifi bands and travel-Solution
2024-09-19 20:48:13 - last edited Monday

@Csakzozo 

Hi,

Unfortunately, the times when the stock firmware of routers allowed the user to select a region of his/her own choice are long gone. (perhaps around 10 years already)

Furthermore, I am also not aware of any recent router model that would allow changing the region by installing an official firmware designed for a different region. Either the region setting is baked directly into the router or installing a firmware of another region is being blocked and trying to do so will just result in an error message being shown.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Archer BE550 Wifi bands and travel
3 weeks ago

woozle wrote

@Csakzozo 

believe it or not, the "region lock" for Netgear's Orbi routers is nothing more than a <select ... disabled> attribute on the web admin frontend -- anyone with an F12 key can bypass it

...allegedly

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 151

Replies: 2

Related Articles