Internet Usage

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Internet Usage

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Internet Usage
Internet Usage
2013-09-17 13:47:04
Region : Australia

Model : TL-PA211KIT

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Sort of a strange question. Internet usage in my house was going nuts. Large amounts of data transferred when no one is at home. I blamed my sons PC that is hooked up to my network via a TL-PA211KIT straight into my router. I checked all the usual DHCP leases and settings. change all wireless pass words and encryption. I got angry at my son as it always seems to be his PC transferring data as I see the lights on the TL-PA211 kit going nuts.

I powered off his access to the internet at the routers end and my usage on the internet went from approx. 2.5GB per day to 300MB. I did a test by placing my son on a metered Wi-Fi connection and monitored his usage. His PC actually only did 280MB in 8 hours and my usage was back to normality. I then proceeded to connect my Xbox into the TL-PA211 kit. After this, I noticed that I had used 2.1GB data before 8am in the morning. I checked my sons metered usage and there wasn't even 1mb for the day so far, I couldn't find the source. During the day, no one was home and no PC's were turned on. I got home and looked at the TL-PA211KIT and saw it flashing like crazy. I looked at the other end that is connected to a switch off Xbox and noticed it to was blinking on and off, all three lights.

I did 3.2GB data, up to this point in one day with no PC turned on. So I turned of the TL-PA211KIT and a total for the day after son played PC games was 3.8GB. I turned off the POE again and my usage has gone back down,

So after this blurb the main question is, is it either possible that the POE system can send a pulse or keep alive data packed through my network and out to my cable internet utilising my usage? as it seems that if I do not use them and use wireless, my data is way down as opposed to having them connected.
Options
1 Reply
Re:Internet Usage
2013-09-27 11:08:26
i think it is caused by POE.
i suggest you just connect TL-PA211 to your router, the other links to nothing. plug both in sockets, then check with the data is abnormal
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 254

Replies: 1

Related Articles