Archer C7 5Ghz Problem - REQUIRES FIXING ASAP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C7 5Ghz Problem - REQUIRES FIXING ASAP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
171 Reply
Re:Archer C7 5Ghz Problem - REQUIRES FIXING ASAP
2014-04-30 05:48:02
So far I have zero complaints about the V2 unit, although connections from the iPad seem to take a bit long to establish bu that might be the latest iOS update doing something odd, I don't yet know, either way, the lag isn't of great concern as long as the signal is stable and the connection no longer drops or routing no longer occurs. So far the iPad3 seems to make good connections as does the iPhone, which didn't always occur with V1 under the various firmware releases but that was simply my individual experience. I still need to get back to the security settings to see if enabling flood protection works if the threshold values are greatly increased towards the maximum, haven't yet had the time to further experiment. BTW, my PCs are connected using Edimax EW-7822UACUSB adapters, the laptops using whatever Intel is embedded, one of the various Centrino adapters, I believe. I did notice one oddity is still present in the new version, the clicking I hear while on a VOIP call and browsing the internet seems to be present, but it's minor issue.
Options
2014-04-30 06:55:38

Polariser wrote

How is it going? I was thinking of buying this router… but a bit put off after reading this forum.

The expensive Asus alternative doesn't seem much better after sifting through the feedback on amazon...

go for nighthawk by netgear!
Options
2014-05-02 09:59:13

fotodamaris wrote

the thread is about V1 through V2 came out and as you can read zero complaints about the V2

Thanks - :) I will check the hardware version in the shop before I buy one.

So many problems with AC1750 routers generally it seems - including the "top" routers Asus 68 and Netgear R7000 so I have been delaying buying into the AC tech for a while.

Wonder if it is the actual chip set they use? Some people seems to have no problems at all and others get constant disconnects and / or rebooting…. plus all the HDD connection problems. Doesn't seem to matter which brand…
Options
2014-05-06 13:18:13
I just shipped my Archer C7 Version 1.1 to TP-Link in order to have it replaced by a V2. I too experienced problems with Broadcom equipped clients as well as an HP Elitebook 8460p that uses an Intel 6205 WiFi adapter. It seemed some progress was made in the April 2nd firmware release, particularly in relation to the sleep issues of the Intel 6205, but the Broadcom equipped devices still struggled. I might add that my wired connection performance also increased with the latest stable firmware compared to the betas before it.

To this point, my C7 has been a hassle to deal with, but I do give credit to TP-Link for quickly approving my RMA without making me jump through arbitrary hoops. My experience with their support staff has been head-and-shoulders above my previous experiences with Linksys and Netgear, who made it nearly impossible to RMA defective products and made me want to rip my hair out. Kudos to TP-Link for listening to me the first time when I requested an RMA. I only wish I knew about the advanced RMA before shipping my unit out, but I take responsibility for not thoroughly investigating the matter prior to jumping the gun.
Options
2014-05-14 05:46:18
My Archer C7 V2 came in today and I'm no longer experiencing the same problems maintaining connection with my Macs. So far, everything is working well and I will report back if that changes over time. Despite my frustrations with the V1.1, I came away very impressed with TP-Link's RMA process and their desire to make the situation right. I might add that they shipped my V2 replacement the same day as they received my faulty V1.1. The C7 V2 I received was brand new in shrink wrapped retail packaging, not a dinged-up refurbished unit. :D
Options
2014-05-19 05:17:06

ERamseth wrote

Everyone having trouble with this router need a to submit a ticket and push for an RMA. Then you need to ask them to swap from V1 to V2. The V2 hardware has a better, more recent, non-broken radio chip that may solve all the problems. I have just today sent 3 back and expect to have the V2 units back by next weekend and will report back if they fixed the problem with broadcom chips connecting (which I believe broadcom chips are in the Mac book pros that aren't working).

For what it's worth, the support people I've dealt with have been great. No resistance at all. This makes me think they realize it's a known issue and have addressed it by releasing a V2 of the hardware.

I'll also add that inability for broadcom chips to connect is the ONLY problem I've had with these routers. I had all 3 set up in WDS with AC speeds streaming HD video all over the place. The routers worked great with each other, just not with broadcom based devices on the 5ghz band.

So far, the hardware V2 seems to have fixed my problems.
Options
2014-05-21 03:14:04

ERamseth wrote

I think this is the general consensus. When I first bought the Archer C7 about two months ago (V1) it was plagued with dropped connections. Luckily Amazon took the product back even though 30-days had gone by. I explained to them that there is a V2 out which addressed many of the V1 issues. I’ve been using the V2 C7 for about a week and a half now and it is way more stable.

In the midst of all this change to AC, I also purchased an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 NIC for my desktop to test 5GHz out. It’s fast! The Windows WIFI connection manager detects 866 Mbps so that’s promising. I did notice one thing last night for a brief moment. It was around midnight and I lost my connection on my desktop altogether. I disconnected from the WIFI numerous times to eliminate the NIC, given the fact that it was the only new variable added. I had to reboot the router to resolve the issue. I need to play around some more but upon first inspection, my speeds are way faster. In game ping for the same server has even dropped by around 10.
Options
Same problems here, both with C7 and WR1043-ND
2014-05-21 20:33:25
I have the same problems with my V1.1. Crystal at the helpdesk is very quick and friendly, and probably working hard since I got about 5 firmware updates now, last one (today) is ArcherC7v1_en_3_13_34_up_boot(130918).

Unfortunately the problems stays the same. To open a new webpage I have to F5 the page a few times before it opens, after that I can easily click to subpages. When it opens the nnew page/domain it's working quite slow with "resolving host" in the status bar.

Config: Win8, DellZ15, Intel Centrino N--2230 Wireless (2.4 only)

BUT: I bought this Archer C7 because my old router was having problems. The old one was another TP-link WR1043-ND. On which the problems were exactly the same but only started at some moment long after I bought it.

So, 2 TP-Link routers, 2 times trouble... :-(
Options
2014-05-22 20:48:02

ERamseth wrote

Same here - with V2 no more drops.

Saying that, there are still a few minor firmware bugs that are identical to V1, so I think the only thing TPLink did was change the WiFi card to a newer version.
Options
2014-07-17 18:26:33
Could someone please confirm the RMA process?

Also when on WIFI on a Nexus 5, using various apps like Twitter. The images don't load. I then switch off WIFI off and on on the Nexus 5 and hey presto, things load. Then they stop loading. Wifi off and on and it's ok again. This is happening minute by minute.

About to return as defective, but really hoping the RMA process gets me a working V2.
Options
Related Articles