Password error when trying to create secure network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-01-05 22:33:21
Region : Greece

Model : TL-PA211KIT

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have purchased the PA211KIT AV200 Nano 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack.
It was very easy to set these two up. I just plugged them in two different powerline sockets and without even pairing them, they just show each other and started working.

Everything good until this point. Then I though of enabling the encryption, to have a more secure connection.
I tried the "pair" button but since these two were already seeing each other, I couldn't tell if the secure pairing worked or not.

I then decided to install the provided software in the laptop, an try to activate the password in each one of them.
No luck there. Although under "Status" menu, it shows me the adapter's password and under "Network" menu the adapter data itself (i.e. Mac address), when I try to input the device password through modify, it just gives me a "wrong password" error.
I put the password correctly, all caps, including the dashes, but still receive an wrong password message. I tried both devices and both give the same error (of course I am using the correct passwords, since each device has each own).

I even gave a name to the network, so again both adapters operate normally under the same network, with fair/very good speeds but still not able to password protect them.
What am I doing wrong??

Thanks in advance.
Options
1 Reply
Re:Password error when trying to create secure network
2014-01-06 18:03:51
Problem solved.

What is needed actually is to "add" the second adapter through which you create a network. I was trying to "modify" the adaptor I was directly connected to, by inputing its password and getting the error message.
You must "add" the second adapter by inputing its name and password. Then automatically the second adapter will appear (not the one you are directly connected).
You have to do the same with the other adapter though and presto. When you connect through the software with each one of the adapters, you see the other one, with its password enabled and you are in a secure network.

I wish TP-Link Getting Started Guide and instructions would be more clear about this. Even the *.pdf instructions do not include these necessary steps.
Options