TL-WA901ND AP Stops Working - Needs Rebooting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-01-08 11:51:35
Region : Australia

Model : TL-WA901ND

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version :

ISP : iinet

Hi Guys,

I recently bought two TL-WA901ND access points for the home to extend our wireless coverage. However I have noticed that some issues with connection loss which can only be rectified with a reboot of the AP.

The scenario would be that we would be listening to music through a TV using Apple TV via airplay. After a certain amount of time (ie half an hour) the connection starts to drop in and out or drops out altogether. Once it has dropped out I can no longer connect to the device through itunes. Furthermore I cannot access the wireless device through my wifi options on the Apple TV direct or even through my iphone. It wont connect. If I try to access the IP address for the AP on the computer (by typing the IP address in) it wont find the device. However, once I turn the AP off and back on I can connect to the device again. The connection then works for a period of time but may drop out again. At which time I need to reboot the AP once again.

It may very well be an issue with our wifi rather than the APs however the AP in question is in line of sight to the Apple TV and is plugged into a switch which is on a LAN link back to the router. I have set a channel for the AP to keep it away from channels being used by the neighbours etc. So I would expect better connection than what we are getting.

Any advice on troubleshooting or resolution would be great.

Regards.
Options
10 Reply
Re:TL-WA901ND AP Stops Working - Needs Rebooting
2014-01-08 15:37:05
So you are using one 901 as Access Point and the other as Client/Repeater?

Try to disable Smart IP:

1. Go to webUI -> Network -> LAN to set "Static IP" instead of "Smart IP". (The static IP of the two 901 must be under the same network segment with your router. And any IP conflict should be avoided.)
2. Then diable DHCP.
Options
2014-01-08 18:04:44

Tobacco wrote

So you are using one 901 as Access Point and the other as Client/Repeater?

Try to disable Smart IP:

1. Go to webUI -> Network -> LAN to set "Static IP" instead of "Smart IP". (The static IP of the two 901 must be under the same network segment with your router. And any IP conflict should be avoided.)
2. Then diable DHCP.

Thanks for the reply. The Network Type is already static and the DHCP disabled. The two APs are both access points, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. They are both attached by cable to the router.
Options
2014-01-08 21:48:11
read post #16 here http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?2745-AP-drops-connection/page2
and i found on DD-WRT forum this suggestion on your model
...I've since made an interesting observation. I've disabled QSS (Quick Secure Setup - relatively useless in my opinion) on the stock firmware on both APs. Since then my APs have set a record for uptime (12 and 6 days respectively). They don't seem to crash anymore since disabling QSS. you can read here http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=71721&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90 Glenner post and here http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=71721&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120 first post from sebr
Options
same problem (I think) - TL-WA901N needs daily rebooting
2014-02-02 17:42:25
I have a similar problem with Apple Airplay and the TL-WA901N.

The PC with iTunes connects to the TL-WA901N, and then the Airplay devices (Qty 2 * Apple TV and Qty 1 * LG Audio) also connect to the TL-WA901N.
After a random period - 1hr to several days - the PC can no longer connect to the Airplay devices.
TL-WA901N also has a wired uplink 100BT to media server etc.

I can reboot the PC, the Airplay devices etc - and the connection will not recover until I reboot the TL-WA901N.

FYI -
I have two access points in the house (upstairs / downstairs - concrete and steel house) plus a wired network.
Moving devices away from the TL-WA901N (to the other wifi access point - Billion, or wired network) also fixes the problem - but does not suit where I want to use them.

I am about to ditch the TL-WA901N (lesson learnt) - I checked the website on the off-chance there was new firmware and saw your post.

I'd love a fix - the TL-WA901N is installed in my roof space to give better coverage ... horrible place to go just to swap a Wifi router.

Maybe even a command line telnet script to reboot TL-WA901N daily would also work?
Options
2014-02-02 20:38:17
Hi folks!

I also have problems with my WA901N v2.
It must be restarted periodically and it can not be accessed with HTTP when it stops working.

I previously had another access point of another brand, which behaved exactly the same way.
To avoid these problems, I bought a TP-link one or two years ago, that I thought would work better.
Options
2014-02-03 03:13:50
[QUOTE=benekm;I also have problems with my WA901N v2.
It must be restarted periodically[/QUOTE]
Either you get use to reboots or read here http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?75150-TL-WA901ND-configuration-problems-need-help.&region=china
Options
2014-02-03 03:16:47

benekm wrote

I also have problems with my WA901N v2.
It must be restarted periodically

Read post #4 in this thread or get use to reboots or read here http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?75150-TL-WA901ND-configuration-problems-need-help.&region=china if you know DD-WRT you know the drill, if you are reading it for first time, read and read a lot, once you understand the concept carry on, now you have a 901 that works with reboots, if you don't read & understand you will end up with a beautiful brick, and to those that cry out you are gonna lose warranty, do you really have one, how much you paid for 901, how much do you have to pay for delivery to send it for warranty, I'm sure the same value you paid for 901, most important TL support will never give you a RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) cause 901 crashes, it will tell you to enable DHCP, change channels, (frequencies) move 901 to another place, enable ping watch dog, and Bla, Bla, Bla. TL devices are real good devices with third party FW (firmware)
Options
solving the issue
2015-08-02 01:30:51
TP links Model No. TL-WA901ND , the problem of repeated disconnecting from main rooter was solved by matching Group Key Update Period as it is in Rooter
so in my case in the Root Group Key Update Period: 3600

just after normal setup and selecting Universal Repeater as Operating Mode of the device then
I change in Wireless Security section
Group Key Update Period to 3600 Similar to Main Rooter Group Key Update Period that I have .

After that frequent disconnecting stopped , :)
Options
Solution: insert rear cable
2015-09-18 21:54:12
I have 3 oh them (901 v3)
first 2 setted as universal repeater but cablet at set satellite box and home theatre with no problems never restart requested to work properly
and last third not cabled working only in wi fi mode that lost connection to router and needed to restart it every day

Simply put and insert th ethernet cable on rear even if not connected or (for example connected only to ethernet splitter in bundle
Options
insert a rear cable
2015-09-18 21:58:45
insert a rear cable even not connected to devices
i connected it only to ethernet splitter
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4712

Replies: 10

Related Articles