PowerLine utility only lists one device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-01-09 23:29:40
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-WPA281

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Firstly our powerline network of two TL-PA451s is working perfectly.

However when I open the utility software (latest download, Win 7 Pro 64-bit), only one adapter is listed, if I try and add the other it's rejected, "Device adding failed", so currently I'm unable to set a network name. They must be on the "unknown" named network as they are fresh out of the box.

When I rename the one listed (from "Device1") to something else, when I reopen the utility, the name change annoyingly has reverted back to Device1 - is this correct?

Any ideas? Presumably you can only set the network name when both (or all) adapters in the network are listed, otherwise you'll lose connectivity...
Options
7 Reply
Re:PowerLine utility only lists one device
2014-01-10 20:05:38
PS no idea why Region: Argentina and the wrong model is listed at the top, I'm from the UK!
Options
2014-01-14 15:59:52

converse wrote

PS no idea why Region: Argentina and the wrong model is listed at the top, I'm from the UK!

Because you do not choose them , they just be set as default.

The adapter listed is the remote device, the one you connect your computer directly is the local one , which will not be shown in the list, neither can you add it.

Setting your network name, just go utility, System -> set all devices' network name ......

Is above help?
Options
2014-01-16 14:27:09

Detective Dee wrote

The adapter listed is the remote device, the one you connect your computer directly is the local one , which will not be shown in the list, neither can you add it.

Setting your network name, just go utility, System -> set all devices' network name ......

Is above help?

This makes interesting reading, I've only spent 3 hours trying to get the above to work with my devices! So to clarify the device connected to your PC will only show up under the 'Status Tab' whilst any additional devices will only show under the 'Network Tab'?

Why then does it say on Page:15 of the User Manual Sub Section 4.2 Network: that "The Network tab window shows information of ALL the powerline adapters found on the current logical network" ???????

Way to go TP-Link, thanks for wasting so much of my valuable time. Perhaps when you next attempt a translation of the User Manual you will find someone who speaks fluent English? :rolleyes:

Thanks to Detective Dee for pointing that out in this post! Much KUDOS to you for that! :)
Options
2014-01-17 09:13:09
Thank you.

But, I think the design of Utility is out of artistic beauty.
Options
2014-01-30 20:19:10

Detective Dee wrote

Is above help?

Thanks Detective Dee - of course you are right and it worked, applied and set name.

Pity there isn't more information shown about the remote item to confirm the network name - utility software is abysmal. Adapters seem to work well though, apart from slightly iffy powersaving.

However if you quit and restart the Utility software, nothing appears to have been saved/remembered:

1. If I name the Remote Device, it loses its Name
2. The Network Name (Status tab) just appears as "unknown" in the status tab (after being set before). And on the System tab it's just blank too.

Great work TP-Link...
Options
I have been able to see two adapters, but only one at a time.
2015-01-08 04:10:32
Cannot figure out why I can only see one adapter. I have been able to add either of the two I have and even "Modify" their names, but whichever I added last is the only one I see on the Network tab and can modify. TL-PA6010 (AV600) User Guide seems to make me believe I should see both.
Options
2015-01-08 16:11:45
Which picture?
After you modify their names to be the same, how about powerline lights on both?
If they are not on, reset them directly.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=601
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 846

Replies: 7

Related Articles