Universal Repeater vs. WDS Repeater

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-01-14 20:45:12
Region : Germany

Model : TL-WA830RE

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

ISP :

For those who also have a mixed set of hardware in their home network this might be a interesting post:

I am using Fritz.Box 7270 and a Fritz.Repeater 300E from AVM and wanted to use the TP-Link TL-WA830RE to extend the network further. You are required to ensure that all repeaters running in the same mode otherwise you will experience network connection issues.

As the current AVM hardware acts only as Universal Repeater I was required to research if the TP-Link TL-WA830RE can act as Universal Repeater as well. Interestingly it can but only with Hardware v2 - not with Hardware v1 which only supports WDS.
Options
2 Reply
Re:Universal Repeater vs. WDS Repeater
2014-01-15 11:13:06
Seems that many other brands don't support WDS repeater.
My Netgear router doesn't.
Options
Re:Universal Repeater vs. WDS Repeater
2014-01-15 11:30:20
more detail you may be interested in:

when working as Universal Repeater, the root AP treat 830RE as a normal client. So that this mode has better compatibility with different routers from different brands.
when working as WDS Repeater, the root AP treat 830RE as a WDS node. So that it requires the root AP is WDS-capable (or called WDS awared).
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 12156

Replies: 2

Related Articles