TL-PA411 Power Save Issues - Non Functional

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-01-17 11:57:52
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-PA411KIT

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version : 500A-1.0.0.337-01-20120309-FINAL

ISP : Plusnet

Hi all,

Bought 2 x TL-PA411 Kits last week and have noticed that none of the units enter power save mode.

I did mention this issue in a previous thread but have started a new post of it's own for more exposure.

It was mentioned in that previous post by another forum member 'Detective Dee' that in order for the power save feature to work the computer must be switched off. After 5 minutes the TP Device will enter power save mode and the network light on the device will also go off. I have since tested this theory but it does not work and the problem still remains. I have 3 x PA411's connected around the house, none of these devices enter power save mode despite all connected equipment being switched off except my router which remains on 24/7.

I am aware this problem is also affecting other models but as yet I have not heard of any real solutions to this issue. :confused:

My motherboard is an ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO with built in Network Card

Any advice would be welcomed at this point,

Thanks
Options
5 Reply
Re:TL-PA411 Power Save Issues - Non Functional
2014-01-20 14:38:17
Does your computer stay plugged in after shutdown?

If this is the case the motherboard still has power thus a signal that would prevent the adapter from powering down. try turning the switch on the power supply of your pc off see what happens (if your not turning it off that is)

You can also get the SwitchPowerSaveTool_Beta to confirm the setting on each adapter
Options
2014-01-21 12:21:43

neddyuk wrote

If this is the case the motherboard still has power thus a signal that would prevent the adapter from powering down. try turning the switch on the power supply of your pc off see what happens (if your not turning it off that is)

You can also get the SwitchPowerSaveTool_Beta to confirm the setting on each adapter

Hello, thanks for your reply,

I haven't tried turning off the main PSU switch as yet although I would find that quite irritating if I had to do that each time. I will test this when next powering off to see what happens. Interestingly I did read on another post that the TP devices should go into power save mode even if your pc is sleeping. That would be much more useful in my scenario.

I'll keep you posted how it goes.

Cheers
Options
2014-01-23 14:05:25

neddyuk wrote

Hey Neddy,

I've done some experimenting and if I remove the network cable from the back of my WDTV Live Streaming Media Player that TP device switches off completely, i.e. no lights are showing on the unit. However both my other TP devices are still awake even though all equipment is off. I'm confused!

Can you give me a link for the "SwitchPowerSaveTool_Beta", I can't find it?

Thank you!
Options
2014-01-24 19:14:25
Click SwitchPowerSaveTool_Beta , it's on the bottom of the page.

BTW, usually, there are options like WOL OR Wake on Magic within the network adapter of your PC, and if they are enabled , powerline adapter will be prevented to go sleep.

About WOL or Wake on Magic Packet, you google it.
Options
2014-01-25 11:45:19

Detective Dee wrote

Click SwitchPowerSaveTool_Beta , it's on the bottom of the page.

BTW, usually, there are options like WOL OR Wake on Magic within the network adapter of your PC, and if they are enabled , powerline adapter will be prevented to go sleep.

About WOL or Wake on Magic Packet, you google it.

Hi Detective Dee,

Thanks so much for your reply and for the link to the Power Save Tool, I will try this later today together with a check of my network adapter settings.

Actually I have had some small success in that I can now get one of my devices to sleep! I posted my issue on the Western Digital forums and one member advised me that there was actually two off modes for my Streaming Media Player..,'Standby' or 'Deep Standby'.
Apparently in the Standby mode the media player continued to get weather updates and content info despite looking like it was off. This was what caused my TP device to stay awake! Deep Standby however there is no network activity and it is this mode the user needs to use in order for the TP device to sleep.

Hopefully a review of my network adapter settings may yield further information but it looks like we might be on to the solution.

Thanks again. :)
Options