Issues with Sonos, Iphone and Wireless Powerline Adaptor

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-01-19 03:29:57
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WPA281

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP : Virgin Media

I have a Wireless Powerline Adaptor in my kitchen which connects via another Powerline adaptor to my Virgin Media Superhub

I have configured the Powerline adaptor to have the same network name as my Virgin Superhub. I can connect to it fine and it links to the internet without any problem.

However, I have a sonos system and when I connect my iphone wirelessly to the Powerline it can't see the sonos devices. The only solution is to disconnect, go closer to the Superhub and I can then see the Sonos system. Once connected I can reconnect to the Powerline wireless network and it can see Sonos.

Does anyone know a way around this? Is it possible to configure the Powerline adaptor so it's simply an extension of the existing network rather than a new network with the same name?

I know that I could get round this by buying an Android device and connecting to the sonos network, but I'd rather avoid this if possible.

Thanks for your help.
Options
4 Reply
Is your installation the same as mine?
2014-01-20 22:51:22
Hello,

I have recently purchased a TL-WPA281 too and have the same issue. Is your installation the same as this:

When I move from one area of my home to a another further away, my wireless device must disconnect from the original wi-fi network and reconnect to the new network (labelled TP-LINK_xxxxxx by default)?

I understood, the TL-WPA281 device would extend my current network, keeping the name and password, to areas of my home that the standard router could not reach. Boost the existing signal, so to speak. It doesn't seem to do that, it has created another separate wi-fi network which causes problems with my music system (SONOS) and media playback (PS3). The same problems I think you are experiencing.

Did you ever get any response from your post? And what do you mean there is a solution with an Android device?

Thanks for whatever info you can get.
Options
Re:Issues with Sonos, Iphone and Wireless Powerline Adaptor
2014-01-22 14:45:45

russellwebb wrote

Hello,

I have recently purchased a TL-WPA281 too and have the same issue. Is your installation the same as this:

When I move from one area of my home to a another further away, my wireless device must disconnect from the original wi-fi network and reconnect to the new network (labelled TP-LINK_xxxxxx by default)?

I understood, the TL-WPA281 device would extend my current network, keeping the name and password, to areas of my home that the standard router could not reach. Boost the existing signal, so to speak. It doesn't seem to do that, it has created another separate wi-fi network which causes problems with my music system (SONOS) and media playback (PS3). The same problems I think you are experiencing.

Did you ever get any response from your post? And what do you mean there is a solution with an Android device?

Thanks for whatever info you can get.

You can use the utility Powerline_Scan to login the web management ,and set the powerline wireless SSID & password the same as your router. That's what issue you face.
Options
2014-01-30 00:46:37

Detective Dee wrote

You can use the utility Powerline_Scan to login the web management ,and set the powerline wireless SSID & password the same as your router. That's what issue you face.

Thanks for the reply. I have already done that so the wireless name and password are the same. But when I'm connected via the Powerline adaptor my iPhone won't pick up the Sonos network.

Frustrating!
Options
2014-01-30 00:48:20
Apparently you can connect direct to Sonos' own wifi network with an Android device, but iOS devices aren't able to do this.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 720

Replies: 4