Model TL-PA4010 and Windows 8 / 8.1

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-02-17 22:47:00
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-WPA281

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have used this pair of adapters on XP Pro Desktops successfully.

And I have connected one of the TL-PA4010 Adapters on a brand new HP Envy Model 700-149 Desktop with Pre-installed Windows 8 via its RJ45 socket.

I tried to use it as a direct RJ45 connection to download from Microsoft Win 8.1 update (and other updates to its Windows Store, drivers, etc.)

The experience was HORRIBLE. IT DOES NOT WORK AT ALL. Here are the details.

First, the Desktop displayed TL-PA4010 as a wireless network connection, and asked for a Password, although all the lights on the TL-PA4010 were blinking as good as they were connected to my XP Pro Desktop before.
I entered the Password as it appeared on the back of the Adapter, but Windows 8 / Microsoft kept on rejecting the Password as being invalid.
I disconnected TL-PA4010 from the RJ45 socket.

So, to obtain the Microsoft Win 8.1 update (and other stuff), I had to resort to Wireless connection via a Wireless Network for all downloads - This defeats the purpose of using TL-PA4010 in the first place.

After installing Win 8.1, Windows kept on updating the other drivers and security features.
Then, I tried to use the RJ45 connection with the TL-PA4010 again.
Win 8.1 asked for the Password for the TL-PA4010 'wireless' network connection again.
I entered the Password as it appeared on the back of the Adapter, and it kept on rejecting the Password as being invalid although the LED lights on the Adapter were blinking as usual, and the RJ45 connection port of the desktop also lighted up (green).

I have searched the website of TP-Link for a list of Win 8 Compatible products, and non of the Powerline Adapters are listed there.
It is no excuse for TL-TP4010 or any of the TP-Link Powerline Adapters to be excluded because the connection used is considered as direct RJ45 link to the network card on any computer equipment supporting Ethernet 10/100/1000.

Any suggestion on how to make TL-PA4010 work on Win 8 / 8.1 ?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 279

Replies: 0