TL-PA2010KIT - poor performance

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-04-02 16:11:39
Region : Spain

Model : TL-PA2010KIT

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello Forum!

I received yesterday a pair of PA2010 200Mbps PLC adapters from Amazon. When testing them I saw that I cannot get more than 25-27 Mbps between them. Both are in the living room, one connected to the router and one on the other side of the room next to the TV for the IPTV decoder. I could only get better performance having them both side-by-side in a plug extender next to the router, and even then it reached only 60Mbps. For reference, I got a 100Mbps FTTH line, and with direct cable to the router I reach nearly 97Mbps.

Is this normal, or should I think the unit(s) are defective?

Thanks!

--
JG.
Options
4 Reply
Re:TL-PA2010KIT - poor performance
2014-04-02 21:46:29
Hello again,

I have installed and run the Powerline utility. While connected to one of the PLCs, it shows that the theoretical rate between them is 109Mbps (screenshot below). However, I don't get more than 34 through the internet link. Again, if I connect my laptop directly to the router I get nearly 100Mbps.

Powerline utility screenshot:

Speedtest using PLC:

Speedtest direct router connection:

Any ideas as to why if the theoretical rate is more than 100Mbps I only get 30% of that?

Thanks,

--
JG.
Options
2014-04-04 10:41:21
You have misunderstood ethernet speed with powerline speed.
The speed from speedtest is ethernet speed, and the speed you have seen from utility is powerline speed.

100Mbps powerline speed is like 50Mbps ethernet speed.
In addition, powerline speed will be affected by electric noise in the powerline. So it is not stable as ethernet speed.
Options
2014-04-04 19:14:12
Hello Vincent,

Thanks for the clarification. So for my own clarity: Powerline speed (e.g. 200Mbps as advertised in the product) needs to be halved to get an idea of the max theoretical ethernet throughput, right?

And then, once plugged in, depending on the wiring condition, noise, etc, that powerline speed goes down.

So, the fact that I can only reach 109Mbps powerline speed / 34Mbps ethernet speed is considered normal? Again, both devices being in the same room, separated around 5 meters linear distance -- opposite wall -- (no idea of the real wiring length but should not be huge IMHO). Electrical installation is around 15 years old.

Basically the question is whether I should consider this throughput as normal, or whether one could think the devices could be faulty under these conditions.

When placed side-by-side, ethernet throughput didn't go higher than 60Mbps (120Mbps powerline throughput, devices separated a few inches from each other, connected to the same power strip).

What is your/the_forum's opinion?

Thanks!

--
JG.
Options
2014-04-10 17:14:41
Yes, the throughput test result is completely normal.
So don't worry about it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 630

Replies: 4

Related Articles