WPA4220 seems to block dhcp trafic

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-05-13 17:03:59
Region : Germany

Model : TL-WPA4220

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

I use a TP Link Powerline adapter together with the WPA4220 to provide wlan access in one room. When the WPA4220 is newly booted, everything works fine.

When the WPA4220 is running for an day or so, my devices get the connection to the WPA4220 but will not get an ip address using dhcp (the dhcp server is running on my router). Request a new dhcp lease will not change anything. I tried a MacBook Pro and a iPhone.

After rebooting the WPA4220 everything again works normal.

Now I assigned static IPs to my devices buts thats only a workaround.

Any ideas?
Options
29 Reply
Same failures for many of us
2014-05-13 22:42:37
Read my post and others in this forum to see you have the same failures as many others and TP-Link
does not even respond and this is their own tech forum !
I agree about DHCP but also think it is a DNS also issue as in my case I have a LAN with a file server and all desktops
that are connected to that LAN never have a problem and are online for months non stop and work correctly via LAN/Wireless/Internet router

But any laptop that is using wireless that requires the network path via TP-Link WPA4220 ceases to even be able to connect to
my own LAN file server and loading random websites via internet fails as not finding the DNS path

This includes using the newest firmware/software they have on their download page for this product.
Tech support instead of getting a fix for this simply tells me to try and get my money back or in the end got suckered for a
non functional product that is falsely working as their marketing claims
Options
Re:WPA4220 seems to block dhcp trafic
2014-05-14 21:28:27
Yes, its a shame. On most configurations, you get your IP/subnet mask/router but also the dns settings from dhcp, maybe thats why its an dns issue for you.

Everything we can do is to tell everybody about the bug, maybe the (hopefully than) public discussion put pressure on TP-Link.

The "normal" PowerLine adapters (Ethernet <-> PowerLink) are good but the WLAN PowerLine Adapter just doesn work as it should be.
Options
2014-05-21 10:05:57
I will try to reproduce your problem to see if we can figure out what the problem is.
Options
2014-06-30 02:57:54
I'm seeing the same issue.

The problem seems to be that although the WPA4220 initally assigns the correct DHCP IP address for a new connection, when it attempts to renew a lease for an IP, it assigns something in the range 168.x.x.x rather than using the value from the DHCP server.

This means that the device appears to be connected but cannot send or receive or otherwise use the network connection. The only solution is to "forget" the network and re-add it, whereupon the 4220 assigns the correct IP address again.

This only applies to wireless connections. Wired connections appear to be fine. The solution is to assign static IPs for all wireless devices but this is far from ideal.
Options
2014-07-01 02:22:31
Good that somebody can reproduce the problem. Now all we need is a solution from TP ;-)
Options
2014-07-08 10:17:53
Sorry about the inconvenience caused to you.
We are trying to reproduce this problem. If we can replicate it, we will solve it.
Options
2014-08-17 22:02:54
Any luck on reproducing the problem? I also have the same issue where assigning WiFi connected PCs a static IP will work, but anytime a new PC connects to the network it gets a 169.x.x.x IP address or something similar and cannot connect to the internet.
Options
Same problem...
2014-08-25 05:45:02

mctalian wrote

Any luck on reproducing the problem? I also have the same issue where assigning WiFi connected PCs a static IP will work, but anytime a new PC connects to the network it gets a 169.x.x.x IP address or something similar and cannot connect to the internet.

I'm having the same issue. I only bought my TP-Link kit last week and the firmware is up to date, yet the wireless AP fails normally within a day. It's fine after a reboot, then after a period of time it fails to send traffic to the powerline network. Using a wired connection off the same unit works fine throughout. It's hardly a showstopper as I can easily buy a separate AP but it's definitely made me think twice about buying more TP-Link kit. :mad:

I have my receipt so will probably return in case it's just faulty hardware.

Ed
Options
2014-08-27 20:45:24

egrigson wrote

I'm having the same issue. I only bought my TP-Link kit last week and the firmware is up to date, yet the wireless AP fails normally within a day. It's fine after a reboot, then after a period of time it fails to send traffic to the powerline network. Using a wired connection off the same unit works fine throughout. It's hardly a showstopper as I can easily buy a separate AP but it's definitely made me think twice about buying more TP-Link kit. :mad:

I have my receipt so will probably return in case it's just faulty hardware.

Ed

Try this, I posted it in another thread and haven't heard back from anyone confirming this worked. It has been working for me just shy of a week now.

My DHCP range is 192.168.1.60-192.168.1.253; the first time I set up the WPA4220, I changed the IP to 192.168.1.169. This time I entered the SSID and security settings manually. I left the default IP of 192.168.1.1 on the WPA4220. I also downloaded inSSIDer and looked for the least congested wireless channels. I placed my WPA4220 on channel 1 and my main router on channel 11. It appears to be working.

Can you confirm that this solves the issue?
Options
2014-09-26 17:44:25

mctalian wrote

Try this, I posted it in another thread and haven't heard back from anyone confirming this worked. It has been working for me just shy of a week now.

My DHCP range is 192.168.1.60-192.168.1.253; the first time I set up the WPA4220, I changed the IP to 192.168.1.169. This time I entered the SSID and security settings manually. I left the default IP of 192.168.1.1 on the WPA4220. I also downloaded inSSIDer and looked for the least congested wireless channels. I placed my WPA4220 on channel 1 and my main router on channel 11. It appears to be working.

Can you confirm that this solves the issue?

I wondered if leaving the default IP might help, but my home network all uses 192.168.0.0/24. I'll do some testing over the next few days and see if this helps, and will report back if so.

Regards,

Ed.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4426

Replies: 29

Related Articles