SOHO Network Extender Advice

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-06-27 16:39:41
Region : United Kingdom

Model : TL-WPA4220

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Advice needed as to optimum solution to best utilize new clients existing equipment to extend his SOHO network. Currently he has a BT Hub 4 router with signal being boosted via a Netgear WN3000RP WiFi Range Extender but is still on the edge of the signal range for one of his computers. He purchased a TL-WPA4220 WiFi Powerline Extender without fully understanding the need to pair them over the ring mains & has now asked me to take over!

My main question is does the TL-WPA4220 only extend the WiFi signal of a network to which it is connected to over the mains or can it act like the other Netgear extender to just boost a WiFi signal? My idea, in an attempt to save him having to buy any other kit and if the latter is possible, would be to just use the TL-WPA4220 to extend the signal from the Netgear Extender, or is not advisable to extend an extender ?

Alternatively, I can see that he could ultimately purchase another TL-WPA4220 to replace the NetGear Extender and then a TL-PA4010 in which to plug the router to make full use of the Powerline option. Do all the plug sockets have to be on the same ring mains?

Any other setup suggestions welcomed !
Options
2 Reply
Re:SOHO Network Extender Advice
2014-06-30 11:06:05
TL-WPA4220 is not like range extender product.
It is like wired Powerline adapters. The only difference is WPA4220 can also offer wireless network apart from wired connection.

So you need two Powerline adapters, and one of them can be TL-WPA4220.
Yes all Powerline adapters should be configured in the same Powerline circuit.
Options
Re:SOHO Network Extender Advice
2014-06-30 11:21:49
Thanks for the reply Vincent & confirming what I thought was the case too. Client is currently checking out his ring mains & have advised him to purchase a TL-WPA4220KIT which will give him the basic TL-PA4010 to connect the BT Hub to the mains and a TL-WPA4220 to replace the Netgear extender, leaving his other one for it's intended use.

Ain't networking great !! ;)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 513

Replies: 2

Related Articles