WPA4220 interferes with broadband when plugged in

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-07-17 20:25:18
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WPA281

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP : TalkTalk

Hello

I recently purchased a TP Link WPA4220. When this is plugged in and switched on it stops my broadband from working. Switch it off and I'm ok again.

The set up being used is a Talk Talk broadband router (this has four ports available at the rear) which uses a LAN cable to a Net Gear ProSafe 5 port switch F5105 V2. I then have 3 output LAN cables going to my home PC, a B&O internet TV and a hive thermostat controller. In this configuration everything works well.
Once I connect the Powerline and switch it on the internet stops working.

What is going on?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Barry
Options
2 Reply
Re:WPA4220 interferes with broadband when plugged in
2014-07-18 00:37:42
Have you purchased the WPA4220-KIT? It says on the box and has two powerline adaptors in it, a smaller one and a large one.

If you have, ensure you are plugging the smaller one in and not the larger one
Options
Wps4220
2014-08-02 06:17:16

Barry wrote

Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WPA281

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP : TalkTalk

Hello

I recently purchased a TP Link WPA4220. When this is plugged in and switched on it stops my broadband from working. Switch it off and I'm ok again.

The set up being used is a Talk Talk broadband router (this has four ports available at the rear) which uses a LAN cable to a Net Gear ProSafe 5 port switch F5105 V2. I then have 3 output LAN cables going to my home PC, a B&O internet TV and a hive thermostat controller. In this configuration everything works well.
Once I connect the Powerline and switch it on the internet stops working.

What is going on?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Barry

Hi Barry,

In my experience the problem may lie with the IP number for the wireless adapter- that is the default 192.168.1.1 - this is the same as many if not most routers.

As no two devices on the same network can have the same IP this might cause your type of problem.

Why TP-LINK default to this is beyond me as it interferes with the setup process especially as this is meant to be an easy device to install. Most computer users, without a knowledge of network protocols would struggle with this.

The best way around this is to first change the IP number of your router (if indeed it is 192.168.1.1) to 192.168.1.200 (outside of most small networks (bear in mind that any devices on the network with a static IP will not work as they will have 192.168.1.1 as the gateway address) but as this will be changed back once the wireless adapter has been updated it can be ignored

Reboot the router after making the IP number change. Then connect the WPA4220 via an ethernet cable to the router and run the CD that came with the device and scan for TP-link devices - this will then enable you to update the settings on the WPA4220 including changing its IP number- I have not tried to clone the wireless network on the router as the TP-Link instructions suggest is possible. Once this is done change the router number back to 192.168.1.1

If this seems complicated then blame TP-Link for their stupid idea to assign such an IP number as a default!

All the best Alan
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 531

Replies: 2