[Survey]TP-LINK Tether - APP for IOS & Android

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-07-22 10:53:57
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-WDR4300

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

TP-LINK Tether
:confused: Q&A about Tether[FAQ511]

TP-LINK's Tether App provides the easiest way to access, manage and share your router's resources with your iOS and Android devices. From setup, to parental control, to media sharing, Tether provides a simple, intuitive user interface to see what the status of your router is, who's online and what their privileges are. Unique to Tether, from PC-based web management tools, stream media from a flash disk connected to your router onto your device.
Compatible with
iPhone, iPod Touch, require iOS 5.1 or later.
Android phones or tablets, require Android 2.3.3 or later.
Compatible Routers
To use TP-LINK Tether, please click below to update your router to the latest firmware.
Archer C7/ TL-WDR4900/ TL-WDR4300/ TL-WDR3600/ TL-WDR3500

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1424[/ATTACH]

[SIZE=6]
Setting up your router with Tether[/SIZE]

Straight out of the box, use Tether to set up your new TP-LINK router listed in the compatible routers list above. Setup SSID, password and Internet settings to get online in no time.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1420[/ATTACH]
[SIZE=6]
Live Network Management Access with Tether[/SIZE]

Tether will give you an overview of who is connected to the router; see someone who shouldn't be there? Tether also lets you block them from your network at the touch of a button. Say goodbye to Wi-Fi thieving neighbors.

Streaming Router Connected Files and Media to your Devices

Tether allows you to detect and stream media files on USB hard drives or flash disks connected to your router, to your iOS and Android devices.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1423[/ATTACH]

Managing Administrators and Online Behaviors with Tether

Tether lets you designate which of your devices or users gets to control the router and permissions that come with that. Also, using URL-based 'white list', you can determine which sites are safe to visit (and in so doing, prevent access to those that aren't), while also limiting access to the network during certain times of day for your children's devices, so bed time means bed time.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1422[/ATTACH]
File:
001.jpgDownload
002.jpgDownload
003.jpgDownload
004.jpgDownload
Options
15 Reply
Re:[Survey]TP-LINK Tether - APP for IOS & Android
2014-08-04 15:11:22
We need an App for easy file exchange between iOS devices and the router's USB. The Tether does not seem a qualifies application for that. While on PC and android devices the Tether is not needed and file exchange is easy.
Options
2014-08-05 01:16:06
More work over improving multimedia server action and cooperation with other network devices.
Options
2014-09-11 20:52:46
Version 2.0 is out and now the app won't work with my TL-WDR4300. Version 1.0 worked great with the firmware wdr4300v1_en_3_13_33_up_boot(130617) & it worked with the Beta firmware wdr4300v1_en_3_13_34_up_boot(140425)

Message I receive with version 2.0:

"You may be connecting to a wireless network, which is NOT supported by Tether or you may be connecting to a Guest Network, which is NOT allowed to login by Tether. Tap "Settings" to check your wireless settings. Maybe your device's firmware is NOT up to date if you are connecting to the right wireless network. Download the latest firmware from http://www.tp-link.com with your computer."

I downloaded and installed the latest firmware for my TL-WDR4300 that was list in the download section. Seems like the problem is with the app not the router or its firmware.

Someone please help.
Options
2014-09-11 21:03:29

SYN1ST3R wrote

Version 2.0 is out and now the app won't work with my TL-WDR4300. Version 1.0 worked great with the firmware wdr4300v1_en_3_13_33_up_boot(130617) & it worked with the Beta firmware wdr4300v1_en_3_13_34_up_boot(140425)

Message I receive with version 2.0:

I downloaded and installed the latest firmware for my TL-WDR4300 that was list in the download section. Seems like the problem is with the app not the router or its firmware.

Someone please help.

I headed to this thread just to make this comment. The last version of the app worked wonderfully. This version will NOT connect on any of my devices. I get that same error. Of course I am connecting wirelessly, how else does a tablet connect to the internet?
Options
2014-09-11 21:15:41
Yeah I'm not sure what broke. All problems seem to lead to the 2.0 version of the app. Hopefully it will be a quick and easy fix because I enjoyed version 1.0.

UPDATE Sept. 12th 2014

Here is the reply I got from TP-Link Tech. Support via email:

"Dear Customer:

Thank you for choosing TP-Link, this is Daisy from TP-Link Technical Support.

It is not a problem of the Tether app version 2.0., Actually, temporarily there is no firmware of the router support the Tether 2.0, The latest firmware for the TL-WDR4300 will support the Tether 2.0. I am sorry for the inconvenience."

I don't understand why support for the TL-WDR4300 was dropped with Tether 2.0 when the description of the app says in the "What's New" section of the iOS Tether 2.0 says: "More products are supported by this version."
Options
2014-09-12 23:57:34

SYN1ST3R wrote

Yeah I'm not sure what broke. All problems seem to lead to the 2.0 version of the app. Hopefully it will be a quick and easy fix because I enjoyed version 1.0.

UPDATE Sept. 12th 2014

Here is the reply I got from TP-Link Tech. Support via email:

I don't understand why support for the TL-WDR4300 was dropped with Tether 2.0 when the description of the app says in the "What's New" section of the iOS Tether 2.0 says: "More products are supported by this version."

That's a load of bunk. I own the Archer C7 and I am getting the same error. Did they drop support for that router too? Is it unsupported even though the app in the app store says it's supported?

UPDATE 11:59am est:
App seems to be removed from Apple App Store.

Methinks that they found it to actually be a problem with the App and pulled it.
Options
2014-09-13 07:03:31

ryanrodio wrote

Methinks that they found it to actually be a problem with the App and pulled it.

Thanks for the info. ryanrodio. I got another reply when I asked when the new router firmware will be out to take advantage of the new app (I asked about the TL-WDR4300, but it may also apply to other models as well) and they said if there is no change to their plan it should be released in 1-2 weeks.

UPDATE: Sept. 15th 2014

Received an email from TP-Link, they told me Tether will be re-released on Sept. 19th.

TL-WDR4300 (maybe other models too) should be getting a new firmware before Sept. 19th to support the re-released Tether app and include new features/fixes/etc.

TP-Link was also kind enough to send me a new firmware for my TL-WDR4300 v1. The email said it was beta, but after installing it I don't see "BETA" watermarks, so this might be the new firmware they plan to release for everyone soon.

BETA firmware with watermarks = wdr4300v1_en_3_13_34_up_boot(140425)

New firmware I received (no watermarks) = wdr4300v1_en_3_14_1_up_boot(140903)

UPDATE: Sept. 19th

Tether has been re-released in the Apple store. TP-Link removed the media server option in the app :mad:
Options
tether app update
2014-09-19 17:45:23
The tether app was working perfect for me, until i downloaded the update... Now it wont work at all! I hope they come out with a fix for this soon!
Options
2014-09-19 18:03:09
Please fix the app! Everything was perfect before the update! Now nothing works! i have a WDR3600.
Options
2014-09-21 00:05:27

vigillio wrote

Please fix the app! Everything was perfect before the update! Now nothing works! i have a WDR3600.

Make sure you installed the newest router firmware that was released. I have the iOS v2.0 app and it works. If you are using the Android app then it may need to be updated by TP-Link.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4421

Replies: 15