[Noobie] Need advice and recommendations for a wireless antenna set up! Thanks :)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

[Noobie] Need advice and recommendations for a wireless antenna set up! Thanks :)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-07-31 09:07:31
Region : Canada

Model : TL-ANT2424B

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

In my dads village in they currently opened free Wifi in the square just about two blocks away. My current devices cannot pick up the network near or inside my house. I would like a set up to be able to set up either a directional antenna positioned on my roof pointing to the square to pick up the Wifi (which uses an omni-directional ~8db 2.4 ghz outdoor antenna).

My Problem is what would I need in order to receieve wifi via the set-up directional antenna on my roof and also to re-emit the wifi throughout my house (via a seperate router?)

The directional antenna I was thinking about getting is TP-LINK TL-ANT2424B 2.4GHZ 24DBI GRID PARABOLIC ANTENNA

It has what appears to be a female N-out which could be plugged into a usb adapter which would normally be plugged into a PC. Id like to get this signal re-emitted, however, by a home router somehow to connect to ipads and laptops, not just one single PC via usb.

PS: Might I add, there are two or three concrete building between my house and the squares omni-directional outdoor antenna so I was hoping a more powerful directional antenna would help!

Sorry in advance if it sounds like I have no idea what im talking about this is all new to me! ><

Id appreciate any help on the subject!

- Panos -
Options
1 Reply
Re:[Noobie] Need advice and recommendations for a wireless antenna set up! Thanks :)
2014-08-11 14:20:03
The N-type connector is not a problem. You can buy a pigtail cable to convert it to SMA connector or other connector which fits your router.

"two blocks away" ---- What's the distance?

With the distance given, your requirement will be clear enough, but may be hard to satisfy.

Free Wi-Fi ))))) buildings )))) your house

A directional antenna can focus the signal at one direction, but that doesn't necessarily mean it can certainly make the signal passing through obstacles.

There are two problems in your scenario:
1. The buildings in the way. How high are them? If you put the antenna on your roof, can the antenna get clear line of sight to the omni antenna?
2. How high and how powerful is the free wifi itself? If the signal itself is attenuated too much in the way, you might not able to establish a stable link even with high again directional antenna.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 526

Replies: 1