Problem with setting up guest network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-10-05 22:35:49
Region : Others

Model : TL-WDR3600

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.14.1 Build 140916 Rel.65058n

ISP :

Hi

I have following setup: On both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks I have disabled SSID broadcasting, I am using WPA2-PSK wireless security with AES encryption, and I have enabled Wireless MAC Filtering for which I have made a list of some 8-9 devices that I want to be able to access my wifi network. This part is working properly.

I also wanted to make possible for my friends and guests devices to be able to connect to my wifi network but without need to add them to MAC filtering list. I was assuming that I could enable guest network (either 2.4GHz or 5Ghz), add PSK password and that was it.

Problem is that does not work. My guest network also depends on MAC Filtering list for access control. When I for example disable MAC filtering for my 2.4Ghz network anyone with right password can connect on my guest network. When i enable it again if the device is not on the list it can't connect to guest network.

Am I doing something wrong or did I misunderstood the purpose of guest network?

Thanks
Hap
Options
24 Reply
Re:Problem with setting up guest network
2014-10-09 09:52:39
Guest network feature depends on MAC filtering rules for main SSID indeed as I try...
I'm going to secure my main network and disable MAC filtering in order to use guest network properly...
Options
2014-10-10 02:25:16
But guest network is useless then.
Options
I agree - what is the intended functionality of the guest network?
2014-10-11 03:23:39

Hap Hapablap wrote

But guest network is useless then.

Maybe someone can explain what the guest network functionality is supposed to do.
Options
2014-10-11 10:41:06
I cann't explain but TP-LINK shoud do it. That's what it does. http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=649
Options
2014-10-11 18:25:21
They explained it poorly.

"You can set different access options for Guest Network users, which is very effective to ensure the security and privacy of your main network."

It fails to ensure security of my main network. If I have to turn off MAC filtering on may main network in order for my guests to be able to connect to my guest network than this is a security flaw. I hope that someone from TP-LINK is reading this and that this issue can be solved with software update.
Options
TP-LINK needs to explain it
2014-10-11 20:45:32
I don't agree that tp-link has explained it. They've only provided instructions on how to set it up. Other vendors go into great detail explaining the functionality that they have provided.

Does TP-LINK ever respond to forum posts or do I need to create a support ticket and report back here?
Options
2014-10-13 01:44:17
Let us know if you create support ticket. I am interested as well what TP-LINK has to say about this.
Options
Submitted a support ticket via email just now
2014-10-13 20:11:45
I just tried to submit a support ticket. I got an email response with the following:

Subject: Permanent failure notice.

Message: I am deeply sorry, but I was not able to deliver your mail to the following addresses:
supportengineer@tp-link.com : Mailbox quota exceeded
This is a permanent delivery failure. The delivery has been tried 0 times and will not be rescheduled again.

So, I don't have much hope in getting an actual response.
Options
2014-10-14 08:40:00

fepcoder wrote

I just tried to submit a support ticket. I got an email response with the following:

Subject: Permanent failure notice.

Message: I am deeply sorry, but I was not able to deliver your mail to the following addresses:
supportengineer@tp-link.com : Mailbox quota exceeded
This is a permanent delivery failure. The delivery has been tried 0 times and will not be rescheduled again.

So, I don't have much hope in getting an actual response.

I got this notice too, but someone from TP-Link will still respond.
Options
2014-10-14 08:50:12
According to my experience, you should email to support@tp-link.com instead of supportengineer.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3512

Replies: 24

Related Articles