Powerline TL-PA411KIT - lights are on but lost connection to internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-10-24 01:26:49
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-PA411KIT

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP : SKY

I have been using this Powerline adapter for 2 years without problem. Device 1 connects to my modem and device 2 connects to the Sky box for the television. We have suddenly lost internet connection through the powerline adapter. I've tried everything that has been suggested online in terms of a complete reboot of modem and then powerline adapters. I have reset and re-paired the devices, I have used the management utility. The two devices can see each other, the lights on the devices are all green (with a blinking ethernet light) and yet still no actual internet connection.

The modem itself is fine as my PC connects to the internet directly. WiFi also fine.

Any ideas what I do next? Feels that the Powerline adapters are faulty. Or is it something to do with IP settings?

Thanks
Options
4 Reply
Re:Powerline TL-PA411KIT - lights are on but lost connection to internet
2014-10-24 11:22:16
Can you test powerline devices using your computer instead of Sky box?
What's the IP address obtained on computer and Sky box when testing seperately?
Options
2014-10-24 22:17:44
Hi,
I did connect my laptop to Device 2 (instead of the Sky box) and interestingly it gave the impression of an internet connection (i.e. the laptop showed a connection) but then it failed to open any web page - so effectively was not connected. I will try again and also capture the IP address as well as I failed to do that last time
Options
2014-10-26 00:55:02
If they have been working fine for 2 years and suddenly stopped, it is quite possibly a hardware failure. The capacitors used on older TP-Link homeplugs are notorious for dying after 1-2 years. I lost 4 x PA211s like that. Although in my case they died entirely, with no green lights at all.

1) Plug your laptop directly into your router (same port as currently used by homeplug) to rule out a router failure.

2) Replace/swap around ethernet cables to rule out a cable failure

3) Plug your laptop directly into both adaptors alternately and reset via the TP-Link Homeplug utility.

4) With your laptop connected to one adaptor, what does the TP-Link utility say, can it 'see' the other homeplug? Is the connection speed normal?

5) With your laptop connected to one adaptor, and the other connected to your router, can you ping your router?
Options
2014-10-31 01:07:13
Hi and thanks for the help and suggestions! I finally got to the bottom of it - well, it's fixed now anyway.

The router was faulty... worked okay with one ethernet cable but the second cable that I'd used for the TP Link Adapter had failed. I put a new router on and now all works fine again

Thanks again
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1521

Replies: 4