Tp-Link Archer C2

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Tp-Link Archer C2

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Tp-Link Archer C2
Tp-Link Archer C2
2014-12-29 21:04:27
Region : Romania

Model : TL-WDR4300

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 0.9.1 0.10 v0032.0 Build 140716 Rel.54909n

ISP : DIGI RCS-RDS ;PPOE

Hello,

I purchased few days ago an AC750 Gigabit Archer C2 router.
I was glad with 2 channels and high speed technical specification, but I have many problems.
I will specify my home network architecture,

and after that I will start the questions:

1 router Archer C2
1 Smart TV Samsung(direct cable wire 100Mb from router)
1 Mediaplayer PNI Cinema HD170R, Full HD((direct cable wire 100Mb from router)
1 HDD extern Seagate Expansion 1TB, 2.5", 5400 rpm, 8MB, USB 3.0 ( USB cable in Media Player, port USB 2.0)
1 laptop HP EliteBook 8470p, Network card gigabit and wireless Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6205

Internet connection PPOE, 1000Mb, the cable is inserted in WAN.
all cables are CAT5, and the speed was tested with each.
System operation Windows 7

1. If I take the cable directly from router, and I insert in laptop, the speed is perfect: 850 Mb on download and 100Mb on upload. (speedtest.net)
If I use wireless, on 2,4 GHz I obtain maximum 150Mb (with 300Mb connection speed) and on 5,0 GHz is 110Mb (with 150Mb connection speed).

I need to know if the wireless adapter of the laptop is the problem, or a "mysterious" setting.
If the wireless adapter is the problem, I need to know exactly an adapter with probably "ac" version type, and which could be the speeds.

2. What's mean 2 channels? I ask because I use 5,0Ghz and my wife 2,4Ghz. If I open a torrent, without any bandwidth limit, the torrent takes all band and a simple youtube is blocked. I need to know exactly the reasons.
A complementary question is related to bandwidth allocation. I made in router settings some allocation, but is a problem. When I am the single user of the network, I am limited to maximum 50-60Mb download, even if I set minumum 100Mb and maximum 300Mb. Is something strange here.

3. If I want to copy from laptop to Seagate hard disk (so the signal is laptop-router (wireless); router-media player(100Mb cable); media player-HDD (USB 2.0) the speed is maximum 5 MB. And is too slow. I don't know who is the problem here, because the cables could more, so I expect to be a setting in router. I tried to insert the HDD directly in router and win the distance, but the transfer is the same. Also I think somewhere is a bad setting. I tried with a simple USB stick(Not HDD), and the speed is the same.

4. I need to know how can I configure the router to keep my HDD like a server. I will explain what I want to do:
I want to download the torrent data directly from bittorent to HDD. After that to make upload from there.
I tried to save directly to HDD and the bittorent crashed, and I need to restart the laptop. I tried few times and I stopped :))

Thank you, I hope you can help me!

My regards,
Options
5 Reply
Archer C2
2014-12-30 02:22:15
Options
Re:Tp-Link Archer C2
2014-12-31 17:44:09
The Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205 dual-band 2x2 adapter delivers up to 300 Mbps bandwidth.
--That is your wireless adapter. It supports 2.4G 300Mbps and 5GHz 300Mbps, 802.11n standard only.

Simultaneous 2.4GHz 300Mbps and 5GHz 433Mbps connections for 733Mbps of total available bandwidth
--That is the C2 router. It supports 2.4G 300Mbps and 5GHz 150Mbps for 802.11n standard. 5GHz 433Mbps for 802.11ac standard.

Background Knowledge: a wireless connection of 300Mbps can provide a data transmission rate of 100~150Mbps in actual application such as file transferring. Why? Because if we want to transmit 1000bits message via Wi-Fi, the device has to spend about 2000bits to package the message. The extra 1000bits overhead are the expensive it cost.
The procedure is like delivering some eggs by express, the eggs are 500 grams in weight, but we need to using a 500 gram box to package them for safety. Check this article

Now here is the answer for the questions:

Answer 1: From the above you can see both the C2 and you router support 300Mbps in 2.4GHz, so you got a 300Mbps Wi-Fi connection, and the corresponding download speed is about 150Mbps. That's perfectly normal. As to the 5Ghz Wi-Fi, mind that the C2 supports only 5GHz 150Mbps for 802.11n standard, and your adapter is 802.11n only, so that's why you get 150Mbps connection in 5GHz and 110Mbps corresponding download rate, That's also normal.:cool:

TP-LINK's T2U and T4U are 802.11ac Wi-Fi adatpers.

Answer 2: Two channel means the C2 provides both 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi concurrently, you use 5GHz and your wife uses 2.4GHz at the same time without interfering each other. So what cause the YouTube blocked? It blocked because the bittorrent eat up all the available Internet throughput, your wife's WiFi is still working but she got no Internet outbound throughput.

bandwidth allocation: I never expect too much from this function. I try a lot third-party firmware and routers of other brands, none of them have a perfect bandwidth control mechanism. Nothing surprise, I am used to it.

Answer 3: As to this problem, it is not a problem..I think that is the best performance your HDD is providing. The HD170R reads the HDD and then transfers the data to the router, then the router forward the data to your laptop via wireless. What you see should be 5 MBytes = 40Mbitps, remember the analogy above, 40Mbitps data rate corresponds to about 80Mbitps Wi-FI speed. That's not low at all. The true bottleneck is the mediaplayer or the router need to read the HDD first. The reading speed is limited because they are embedded devices.

Answer 4: connect the HDD to the C2 router, enable storage sharing function. In this way the C2 acts as a samba server, and you can access the HDD via \\192.168.0.1. Then you can open bittorrent and try download a file directly to the network-drive \\192.168.0.1\
Notice: I 100% believe this would hurt the router and the HDD....I would prefer download the file to my laptop first and then upload it to the HDD...
Options
2015-01-02 00:55:35
Thank you very much!
Options
Tp-Link Archer C2(AC750) media server problem
2015-01-03 19:44:28
I have a problem.

I connect a hdd to the router. The Sony Bravia KDL26EX320 my television only see the audio files via router Media Server, and play. The image and video files can not see. The pictures and videos on the tv plays, when the HDD is attached to my tv.
(otherwise ftp, samba server works perfectly :) )

* Please improve the next firmware.
Options
2015-01-06 09:25:40
Hi totya979

Media sharing is defined by DLNA standard, which provides easy network sharing for specific media file formats.
TP-LINK's routers is yet not perfectly compatible with DLNA standard, so in some cases some formats may not be shown on your DLNA device (your TV).

I think newer routers like Archer series (11ac series) will get firmware update in the future.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 824

Replies: 5

Related Articles