Archer T4U intermittent disconnections/lower range on new rig

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-01-12 20:56:10
Region : Singapore

Model : TL-WDN4800

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP : Singtel

I have a bit of trouble with this adapter only having 3 bars on the wireless signal on my new rig and slightly lower speed (390Mbps) (AsRock Z97m Pro 4, i5 4690k) as compared to the old hardware (Biostar G31m+, Core 2 Duo E6700) with a link speed of 520Mbps. Besides that, the wireless adapter also disconnects from the wireless router (Archer C5) intermittently whenever i'm playing games such as Team Fortress 2 and Counter Strike and Windows displays "The Default Gateway is not available" error. I have to disable and enable the T4U adapter in order to get it working again. Besides that, on my old rig, this adapter could connect to my 5GHz network no problem but in my new rig, I have to manually set the 5GHz wireless channel to 30. (which is kind of crowded in my neighbourhood, unfortunately people are already starting to use 5GHz routers).

What's causing this?
Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer T4U intermittent disconnections/lower range on new rig
2015-01-13 11:50:23
Operating system of the PC installed T4U?
The old adapter was working with C5 or a different router?
What's the firmware version of the router?
Options
2015-01-13 17:39:05

Ada wrote

Operating system of the PC installed T4U?
The old adapter was working with C5 or a different router?
What's the firmware version of the router?

Windows 7 64 Bits on both systems.
It worked flawlessly with the C5 before I upgraded my computer.
The firmware version is Archer C5_v1.2_140912.
Options
2015-01-14 07:25:04
I'm also trying to troubleshoot the T4U, but just for slowdowns, not disconnects. In your case I would assume your Core 2 duo system just had USB2, while your Core i5 has USB3? When my speed drops below acceptable levels I disconnect/reconnect until it regains decent bandwidth. In fact reconnecting on 2.4 GHZ may quadruple the speed from the slowed-down 5GHZ speed. I've had no complete disconnects though in about 3 weeks of use.

The T4U is a super deal at $25 - I hope these discussions lead to insight on how to keep the devices operating at their full potential...
Options
2015-01-14 14:06:29
1. Install all the updates/drivers/Service Pack 1 on your new windows via Windows Update.
2. Try other USB ports, USB3.0 port will be preferred. Some motherboards (or the compter case) equip with inferior USB interfaces.
3. The T4U searches channels according to the windows system's region settings. Your ner computer must have different region settings from your old one.
You want to see more 5GHz channels, you need to uninstall the adapter and utility. Then go to Control Panel --> Region and Language --> Administrative and change the system locale. The system locale should be the same with your C5's region. Then reboot the computer and re-install the driver.
Options
2015-01-14 17:51:03

No dice, unfortunately.
Options
2015-01-20 14:22:53
So, a few days later, range has been mediocre at best. Around 4 bars most of the time. However, I still could not see the upper channels (definitely would like to use the upper channels for less interference) as well as random internet disconnections which has gotten quite irritating (although it could easily be solved by disconnecting and reconnecting to the same router. Very irritating though.)

Is there another fix that fixes all of these problems?
Options
2015-01-20 16:59:43
Step1:uninstall the driver.
Step2:Change the non-unicode to US and reboot the PC
Step3:reinstall the driver, then you can detect the channel you want.
Options
2015-01-20 17:24:32

stangang wrote

Step1:uninstall the driver.
Step2:Change the non-unicode to US and reboot the PC
Step3:reinstall the driver, then you can detect the channel you want.

Well, nice. It finally worked out fine. Maybe when coca koala suggested his fix maybe I didn't follow the instructions exactly, which caused the fix to not work. Anyway, thank you guys.
Now i'm off to play video games.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 912

Replies: 8