Two routers in same system

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-02-04 19:38:28
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-WR1043ND

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi all,

I've tried having a little search but couldn't find the necessary answers so I was hoping you could help me with this (seemingly easy) problem I've got.

My dad has two TP-Link routers at his house, one of which is a 3G receiver router (Router 1) and the other is a standard TL-WR841HP router (Router 2), the primary internet receiving router is Router 1 and this works a treat.

I want to use Router 2 as a basic switch to serve the rest of the house with a connection from Router 1.

On Router 2 I have turned off DHCP and amended the IP to 192.168.0.2 and have made Router 1's IP 192.168.0.1 to avoid conflict. I was unable to get any internet through Router 2 - as a test I added a port forwarding rule for Google on Router 2 and I was then able to PING Google and browse to it on a PC.

Rather than having to put a global port forward for all IP's on port 80 on Router 2 I was hoping there would be a way to change Router 2 to use Router 1 as a default gateway however I can't seem to find a *changeable* option - under 'status', Router 2 shows as having a default Gateway of 0.0.0.0 but there's no way to change this that I can see.

So I have two questions:

1) Can I change the default gateway on Router 2 and am I just being a dunce being unable to find it?
2) If not, can I set a port forward rule for everything on port 80? When I try 0.0.0.0 it comes back as invalid IP address.

Many Thanks all,
James
Options
3 Reply
Re:Two routers in same system
2015-02-05 11:20:45
It is much easier to configure Router 2 as a switch than what you've done.
It is correct to change the IP to 192.168.0.2 and disable its DHCP. But are you connecting Router 1 to LAN port instead of WAN port of Router 2?
Options
2015-02-08 22:44:54
I am yes, if ignoring the colored port completely. Both router 1 and router 2 are connected via LAN ports.
Options
2015-02-20 23:11:24
I have the same problem... On router 2 there is no internet connection, only connection to 192.168.0.2 is possible, but not to 192.168.0.1 or internet... DHCP and NAT disabled on router 2.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4015

Replies: 3

Related Articles