RE200 killing my internet conection?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-02-16 17:58:03
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : RE200

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.14.2 Build 121020 Rel. 51050n

ISP : Plusnet

Bought an RE200 a few days ago to try and get better wi-fi coverage for a couple of upstairs bedrooms that are quite far from the router. Signal there is usually OK (~25-30%), but on occasions drops altogether.

The house has 3 PCs and 2 TV connected to the router through a switch (downstairs is all wired up), and we also 2 iPads, 4 Android phones and an Android tablet, all connected using wi-fi.

The modem/router is a Belkin F6D4630-4 v2 (01) - only 2.4GHz, not a great one, but has worked without an incident for years now.

I setup the RE200 in 5 minutes - initiall using WPS, and then manually to change the RE200 SSIDs: I gave the 2.4GHz network the same SSID of the existing network (say XXXX), and the 5GHz was gived SSID of XXXX_5G. I then plugged it close to the weak signal area, and everything seems fine. Signal was much stronger.

Problem is that a few hours later my internet connection dies. The "Wireless" light on the router goes off (never seen it going off, ever), and both wi-fi and wired connection are dead - i.e. I assume that the router stops working? Lights on the RE200 stayed the same.

The only way to get things back to normal is to reboot the router...

I have now had this problem 3 times. Turning the RE200 off resulted in no problem occuring at all...

Any idea what is going on?

PS: I'll be happy to post screenshots etc if that helps.
Options
3 Reply
Re:RE200 killing my internet conection?
2015-02-17 13:32:54
Probably too many clients access internet at the same time, which causes such a problem...
What's the maximum number of clients supported by your main router?
RE200 is running in latest firmware?
Options
2015-02-17 22:33:00
Firmware is the latest according to his website.

Not sure how to find max number of clients for my router... So you believe that adding the RE200 as one more client could be the tipping point?
Options
2015-03-05 16:34:42
Long distance between the range extender and router will lead to bad link quality and heavy re-transmission, which can possibly bring down your router.

Try to put the RE200 downstairs. Place it at a high location such as on a bookshelf top so that it won't be too far from the Belkin router but still capable to provide good Wi-Fi signal for the devices on upstairs.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 658

Replies: 3

Related Articles