Why can't I write files to USB drive?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-03-02 14:43:19
Region : China

Model : Archer C7

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : 3.14.1

ISP :

I attached a 120GB external usb 2.0 drive to the usb port on my Archer C7, I could neither read any files on it nor write anything to it.

It does show a TP Link location in my network in Windows explorer, and when I click on it it shows 4 folders titlled Browse Folders, Music, Video, and Pictures, but they are all empty, and when I try to copy/paste anything into them the red circle-with-slash symbol shows and I'm not allowed to write anything.

I also attached a 16gb usb 3.0 flash drive, this time a video that I had copied onto the drive did show up, but it still won't let me copy anything onto it.

What am I doing wrong?

Is there any way to configure things so that I can read and write files to attached usb storage, and create my own file system on them?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
Options
5 Reply
Re:Why can't I write files to USB drive?
2015-03-03 15:02:17
What's the hardware version and firmware version of your C7?
Do you need a username and password to access it?
Did you enable write access or set storage authority as read and write?
Options
2015-03-04 17:19:03
Tony,

Thanks for your reply!

My router info:

Firmware Version: 3.14.1 Build 141110 Rel.44276n
Hardware Version: Archer C7 v2/v3 00000000

accessing with user name admin and password admin

Did you enable write access or set storage authority as read and write? By this I assume you're referring to the hard drive? There are no restrictions on it, I can read and write freely plugging it into any usb port (it's in an external hdd box, usb 2.0)

I don't understand what the router is trying to do--why does it have a default folders of Browse Folders, Music, Video, and Pictures, fand is there any way to delete these, create my own folders, and read/write freely to the usb attached storage?

Also, I have tried to create new folders via usb settings>folder sharing>create new folders but the new folders never show up and I can't use them?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Options
2015-03-05 14:13:59
Did you enable write access or set storage authority as read and write?

On router page, to Add or Modify Share Folder page, we can Enable Write Access. That's what I am referring to.
Options
2015-03-05 15:48:33
why does it have a default folders of Browse Folders, Music, Video, and Pictures

That's the folders of media sharing of the router. What you really want is folder sharing with write/read Access. You need to do some settings on the router:

1. USB Settings -- Disk Settings --> scan your USB drive and tick "active"
2. USB Settings -- Folder Sharing --> Sharing Account--> tick "Use Login Account" --> Save
3. USB Settings -- Folder Sharing --> Sharing Setting --> enable "Network Neighborhood", choose “Sharing All” for Sharing Mode --> Save.
(Uncheck "Authentication" if you don't want to enter username/password when access)

Open "My computer" on your PC, type \\192.168.0.1, press enter. Then you will see what you want
Options
2015-03-05 22:01:33
Thanks Reacher, problem solved!

The key was your suggestion to ' Open "My computer" on your PC, type \\192.168.0.1' --I didn't even know it was possible to input something directly in that window, I typed the address into "run" command and many other places but never got it to show up, but your method solved it instantly.

Thanks again to everyone for their kind replies!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7656

Replies: 5

Related Articles