IPv6 security on Archer C5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-03-05 18:29:47
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-WDR4300

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi all!

I want to enable IPv6 on my Archer C5, but I'm concerned about security. Does the router provide anything at all here, or do I need to put a machine behind it as an IPv6 firewall?

Thanks,

Petter
Options
3 Reply
Re:IPv6 security on Archer C5
2015-03-06 09:51:56
No, I don't see any IPV6 firewall options on the web interface. But I need to say I won't rely on the router to protect the LAN machines even if there is any firewall there, especially when it comes to IPV6. IPV6 is meant to be point to point, therefore there is little things can be done on the router. We'd better focus on the security on the LAN PCs..
Options
2015-03-09 19:48:37

coca koala wrote

No, I don't see any IPV6 firewall options on the web interface. But I need to say I won't rely on the router to protect the LAN machines even if there is any firewall there, especially when it comes to IPV6. IPV6 is meant to be point to point, therefore there is little things can be done on the router. We'd better focus on the security on the LAN PCs..

Thanks, this confirms what I suspected. The problem is that there are so many network-enabled devices that are hard to secure properly, that it would be nice to have the option of blocking everything that hasn't been initiated from the inside, and to block all access to certain hosts/ports.

I *do* secure everything I can inside my network, that is just common sense these days, but not everything gives you that ability. Maybe I'll need to look into DD-WRT/OpenWRT.

Could some basic IPv6 firewalling be implemented in a future firmware release, or is that asking too much? If so, what is the right place to request such functionality?

Petter
Options
2015-03-10 14:54:17
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 694

Replies: 3

Related Articles