The local device hasn't been connected - but it has

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-03-09 06:07:31
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-PA411KIT

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have set up a powerline network with 2 units and they have paired successfully, however when I run the PowerLine Utility on my PC (Ethernet connected to my router), it states "The local device hasn't been connected, Please connect the local device"
The local PowerLine device is also connected to my router via ethernet cable.

If I keep accepting the error message, the local device info (in the Status option) is shown, but drops out shortly after.

Is this a faulty unit, or am I missing something?
Options
9 Reply
Re:The local device hasn't been connected - but it has
2015-03-09 17:53:06
How about status of Ethernet light on PA411?
Can you access internet by powerline devices?
Uninstall the utility.
Try to install the newest utility here to see if they can be detected. http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-PA8030P&version=V1#tbl_b
If it doesn't work, try to install the utility on a different computer.
Options
2015-12-09 03:17:04
To whoever might be interested: " try running as administrator".
As far as I understand, TP-Link's utility uses Winpcap, that requires to be launched by a privileged account. I had this same problem, I tried launching the executable (PowerLine Utility.exe, located under C:\Program Files (x86)\TP-LINK\PowerLine Utility) using the "run as administrator" option, and voila, the application could see the devices.
TP-Link should consider detecting this circumstance and giving a suitable error message, or - better yet - advising the users that this application must always be run as administrator.
Options
2016-01-29 05:48:45
Didn't work in my case. The utility still can't find the device
Options
2016-01-29 17:43:21

marcanto wrote

To whoever might be interested: " try running as administrator".

Are you saying run the installation of Winpcap and Powerline Utility as administrator or just the utility post installation?
Options
2016-01-29 19:36:36

Almaretto wrote

Are you saying run the installation of Winpcap and Powerline Utility as administrator or just the utility post installation?

I have solved the problem by running the utility as administrator. I don't remember whether or not, at installation time, I had also run the installation as administrator. Probably yes. In general, it seems to me that running the installation of this kind of software as administrator is a very wise move, one that should always be done.
Options
2016-01-30 17:00:52
Neither worked for me.
Options
2016-02-03 02:26:45
I had same problem...nothing worked until i manually installed WinPcap_4_1_3.exe from c:\Program Files (x86)\TP-LINK\PowerLine Utility\WinPcap\ folder. Then device was recognized...have no clue why winpcap wasn't installed initially on installation....
Options
2016-02-03 15:17:26
I downloaded WinPCap 4.1.3 and Win10PCap. I have installed, completely removed, including registry edits and folder deletions. And reinstalled. WinPCap installation always ran during utility installation as well. That is not the problem. The most I get is an icon in the system tray or process in Task manager, but no GUI or program running along taskbar.
Options
2016-02-03 15:18:16
I cannot even get program to run on Windows 7 system. I switched to using Trendnet program on Windows 7 system.
Options