wireless adapter keeps disconnecting!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-03-11 08:09:28
Region : Sweden

Model : TL-WN823N

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hey. I've had this "300Mbps Mini Wireless N USB Adapter" Model no. TL-WN823N since august 2014, and it's been working fine! But the past few weeks it's been going nuts!
A few weeks ago, it started disconnecting from the internet once every night. Then it stopped doing that for a while, before sporadically disconnecting at random times.
Right now it is disconnecting every few minutes! I have rebooted the computer/router/modem, un/replugged the adapter, tried different USB ports, updated drivers -- nothing works.
When it disconnects now, it'll run for a few minutes before the yellow "!" triangle appears on the connection bars. The only way to connect again is to have windows search the connection for problems. It'll return that the "connection between the AP, router or modem and internet has been disconnected" (identified) and "Standard gateway is not available" (solved). Under details it'll say that the gateway can be reached, but windows is unable to receive network traffic from internet.

I've switched router/modems recently but it was doing this before the switch as well. I've been googling and troubleshooting for a while but I can't find the problem! Please help
I'm alright with computers in general but I don't know a whole lot about routers, and sorry for faulty terminology as I'm swedish.

Thanks in advance!!
Options
2 Reply
Re:wireless adapter keeps disconnecting!
2015-03-11 15:49:11
The PC installed WN823N is the only device connecting to the router wirelessly? You'd better use a phone, tablet etc. to test the wireless connection.
How about signal strength detected? When internet disconnects, check IP address, default gateway etc. obtained on the PC.
Try to change channels on the router.
Update chipmaker's driver for WN823N.
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WN823N_v1
Options
Re:wireless adapter keeps disconnecting!
2015-03-17 22:58:20
All other laptops, phones, tablets etc are working fine during these. It has good connection otherwise, I've changed channels and updated drivers etc. I.e. checked all the things you suggested
Last night it seemed to slow down extremely instead of crashing - I could text chat via skype but no websites would ever load all night.

I can't be 100% certain but I think I've narrowed it down to the adapter overheating. My computer has a great fan setup and is almost cold most of the time, but the adapter feels overly warm to the touch. And I hear that's not uncommon with these small adapters!
I've invoked the warranty with my local tech store and I'm waiting for a new one currently. Hopefully that'll resolve it
Options