TL-WA901ND Repeater with different network name (SSID)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-04-21 17:42:20
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-WA901ND

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi all,

I've recently bough TP-Link TL-WA901ND Wireless Access Point and I plan to use it as a Range Extender (Repeater) to extend the range of my wireless network.

When I configure the device to work in Repeater mode, it brings me a new wireless network with same name (SSID) of my original wifi network name.

And after starting the repeater, it covers the original wifi so nobody can connect to it anymore.

I'm wondering if it's possible to set a different SSID to the Repeater?

IOW, I want to broadcast the original network with a different network name of the original wireless network name.

Is it possible to do so?

For example by upgrading framework?

Assume you have a 4-floor building and you have an ADSL modem in 1st floor,
and you want to put a single Repeater device in every next floor!
Such that each repeater to repeat the wifi of previous floor for best performance and signal strength of wireless devices.

Thanks in advance
Options
10 Reply
Re:TL-WA901ND Repeater with different network name (SSID)
2015-04-21 21:59:37
Hi,

Yes, a wireless repeater can use another SSID but requires the same channel...

At the opposite, when using an AP (wired), the channel must be sufficiently away from the first (depending on the bandwidth)...
Options
2015-04-22 15:08:28
Hi High_Speed,

Thank you for your reply.

But my question is "How to" set a different Wireless ID for my Repeater.

i.e. if you can show me where to go in the admin panel of my WA901ND to change SSID in Repeater mode.
Options
2015-04-22 15:23:09
When WA901ND works in repeater mode, the SSID will be the same as main router's SSID and it cannot be changed.
WA850RE can meet your requirement because it allows us to customize the extender's SSID.
Options
2015-04-22 18:55:06

Tony Seaford wrote

When WA901ND works in repeater mode, the SSID will be the same as main router's SSID and it cannot be changed.
WA850RE can meet your requirement because it allows us to customize the extender's SSID.

Thank You very much.
Hope it can help me.
It would be better if it was possible to do so with WA901ND ! :(
Options
2015-04-27 19:51:49
@Mohammad_Soft

You can use bridge with AP mode, it is almost the same as repeater mode except that bridge with AP mode allows you to use a different SSID and security type(password).

Bridge with AP mode is exactly what you want.

But you second requirement cannot be satisfied in that way.

and you want to put a single Repeater device in every next floor!
Such that each repeater to repeat the wifi of previous floor for best performance and signal strength of wireless devices.

This is unfeasible because WLAN is half-duplex and contention-based. Once you repeat the original signal, the speed is discounted by 50%. You can hardly add a second repeater to repeat the first repeater.

Forget repeating after repeaters, you will need to place one access point for each floor and deploy some necessary cabling.
Options
2015-04-29 08:19:11

radvd wrote

WLAN is half-duplex and contention-based. Once you repeat the original signal, the speed is discounted by 50%.

@radvd this subject comes on all wifi forums and many do not understand or dont wnat to.
The 50% data rate penalty its real, this is a nice post on the matter http://community.ubnt.com/t5/Getting-Started-Product/Repeaters-Range-Extenders/m-p/687729#M31028
Options
2015-04-29 16:00:31
Indeed. my friend :eek: People expect too much from repeater products.
Options
2020-06-15 21:37:43
Options
2020-06-15 21:41:45

Tp link 

Options
2020-06-15 21:42:20

Tony Seaford wrote

@Tony Seaford 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7152

Replies: 10