WDS between wa850RE and w8980 for seamless wifi roaming

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-04-30 07:05:47
Region : Australia

Model : TL-WA850RE

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi there,

I tried to setup the WDS between TP-LINK WA850RE and TP-LINK W8980 router for IPTV. WDS is the only way to get the seamless wifi roaming. I need WDS for my IPTV.

Here is what I did to enable WDS on both ends:

On TP-LINK WA850RE end, by site survey, I found the SSID configured on W8980, and choose connect, set up the security to WPA2-PSK AES, which is identical with the setting on W8980.

And back to W8980, using site survey again to find the WA850RE, add the BSSID, security etc.

After all, I can see the WDS mode is up and running between the router and wifi extender. However, the WIFI speed is just around 1Mbps when my laptop connects to the wifi extender, and the WIFI connection is not stable either.

Any idea about how to get WDS running properly between these two devices?

Thanks & regards
Options
3 Reply
Re:WDS between wa850RE and w8980 for seamless wifi roaming
2015-04-30 14:37:23
W8980 is the main Wi-Fi router? I don't think that you have to enable WDS on it. WA850RE can be configured to extend Wi-Fi range.
But none of TP-LINK products support seamless wifi roaming actually, which cannot be fulfilled by WDS or any other settings.

Options
Re:WDS between wa850RE and w8980 for seamless wifi roaming
2015-05-01 06:45:01
Hi Tony, Thanks for your reply.

My understanding is, the WIFI client can roam to another AP under same SSID without re-ip or outage, if WDS working properly.

I checked tplink official website again, both W8980 and WA850RE do support WDS. According to the document, I only need to configure/enable WDS on one end, it doesn't necessary need to be configured on both ends.

After I disable/untick the WDS option on W8980, the WDS is basically running well. The throughput is around 20Mbps, which is acceptable. However, there is a new issue. My smartphone can't get IP address dynamically assigned by DHCP, if my smartphone connects to WA850RE in the first place when I turn on the wifi on my phone. It is bizarre. Not sure if it is a bug or not.
Options
How did you do it?
2015-09-13 12:55:01

jasonchen wrote

Hi Tony, Thanks for your reply.

My understanding is, the WIFI client can roam to another AP under same SSID without re-ip or outage, if WDS working properly.

I checked tplink official website again, both W8980 and WA850RE do support WDS. According to the document, I only need to configure/enable WDS on one end, it doesn't necessary need to be configured on both ends.

After I disable/untick the WDS option on W8980, the WDS is basically running well. The throughput is around 20Mbps, which is acceptable. However, there is a new issue. My smartphone can't get IP address dynamically assigned by DHCP, if my smartphone connects to WA850RE in the first place when I turn on the wifi on my phone. It is bizarre. Not sure if it is a bug or not.

Hi there. I recently purchased the same range extender (WA850RE) and my modem/router is also the TP-Link W8980. I have tried several times to make WDS work, including following your suggestion of only turning on WDS in the extender's config. Nothing has worked. I still get only "local access", no internet. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Would you be able to provide more specific details on your config at either end?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 728

Replies: 3

Related Articles