When same SSID's, how to know which device I am connected to

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-05-03 22:32:03
Region : Ireland

Model : TL-WPA4220

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello

I have a Powerline TL-WPA4220 adapter installed to boos my wifi at home.

To facilitate roaming, I have cloned the SSID on the TL-WPA4220 so that it is the same name as my router SSID.
When I move from the room containing the router to the room containing the TL-WPA4220 adapter, how do I know if it seamlessly connects to the TL-WPA4220.

I have a Windows 8 laptop and a Windows 7 laptop. Because the SSID for both the router and the TL-WPA4220 is the same, I cant see from Windows which one I am connected to.
If there a way in Windows to see this ?

Thanks, Ken
Options
3 Reply
Re:When same SSID's, how to know which device I am connected to
2015-05-04 10:20:59
You may figure out which device you are connected to according to signal strength.
Options
2015-05-21 23:25:49
What you want to see is the BSSID, which is the (unique) MAC address of the access point you're connected to. I only have Macs lying around and OS X makes it pretty easy to check, but in Windows it looks like you have to do something like this:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/chad/archive/2011/08/02/tip-42-viewing-detailed-wireless-information.aspx
Options
2021-01-18 16:25:15

@kengalway Dear Ken,

with the same device, I have been trying to clone the SSID + password of my router via WPS but cannot get that done. How did you manage to sync SSID + password?

Any TP_Link instruction is frustrantingly unhelpful. Also if I manually go to the setting so fthe TP LInk extender and manually change SSID and password to those of my router --> the extender signal disappears and I can see the SSID of the router but the signal is very poor because I get the signal from the router and not from the extender.

So currently I cannot roam with the same SSID, I have to use routername_ext as a second wifi coming out of the WPA 4220. Are you able to kindly help me?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1395

Replies: 3