Archer C8 multicast - follow up

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-05-12 18:37:51
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : Archer C8

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : ArcherC8(UN)1.0_en_3.16.30Build20150316Rel.41221n

ISP : Plusnet

Following on from my previous (solved) thread on getting IPTV multicast working.

Am now getting severe problems with the IPTV multicast channels breaking up or not loading at all. Most commonly occurs when doing fast channel-hopping; the first few channels load ok, then they start breaking up badly, SD / HD no difference. It seems like the router is being overloaded and unable to cope with the multicast stream. It can also happen straight off after starting up the IPTV box (Youview-Humax). Only solution seems to be a reboot and hope it can pick up the channel I want to watch

I have reverted to my old Billion Bipac router and the problem has gone away, everything is fine. (Connection is 80/20 fibre to the property so no bandwidth problems!)

EDIT: a sudden thought occurs to me - it is possible that these problems started when I upgraded to latest firmware (but I don't remember exactly when I did this)
Options
10 Reply
Re:Archer C8 multicast - follow up
2015-05-12 19:33:59
Hello,

Did you do an hard reset before and after upgrade?
Did you reenter manually your settings (without restoring a backup) ?
Options
2015-05-13 06:07:44

HiSpeed wrote

Hello,

Did you do an hard reset before and after upgrade?
Did you reenter manually your settings (without restoring a backup) ?

Hi

Thanks for the reply. To answer:

No, and
No - upgrade notes implied settings would be retained during this upgrade (had a backup just in case, of course)

Do I really have to clear down & re-enter settings manually every time?
Options
2015-05-13 11:59:33
Hi,

Generally, with all the routers, it is recommended to do so.
Clearing the NVRAM is the best way to don't get trouble after upgrade because the data management can change...
Options
2015-05-14 00:53:14
ok I have now done a hard reset, upgraded firmware to latest, another hard reset and then entered all settings manually :(

I still have the problem with iptv multicast channels, not loading, or loading broken; sometimes a channel will load ok, it seems random

I have reverted to the Billion router and everything is good, all channels load perfectly
Options
2015-05-14 11:49:40
There is a beta firmware to solve youview IPTV issue on C8. Ask for it from TP-LINK support team and have a try.
http://ticket.tp-link.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit
Options
2015-05-14 15:21:09
http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?80014-Archer-C8-multicast&p=158633#post158633

I read your original thread. The problem you are encountering currently seems to be a multicast joining/leaving issue. When you switch channels quickly, the former channels are still abnormally streaming, as a result the stream will be jammed. I've seen some routers of other brand have the same problem.

This problem cannot be resolved by settings. You'd better submit a ticket to support, they should be familiar with this kind of problems. They can also do some test and further look into this issue and hopefully work out a beta firmware.
Options
2015-05-14 20:29:44
thanks for all your replies

I have a support ticket open with all the same details as this thread. They also asked me to do the hard reset > upgrade > hard reset > settings routine. I have reported back to them and await their response

[UPDATE] Tech Support's next suggestion is to enter the Secondary Connection details (which they gave me to get multicast working in the first place). I think this is going to be a long journey...:(
Options
2015-05-19 08:53:53
You should describe what you've done in details first. Otherwise, they may keep asking you to repeat what you've done. Anyway, if you get it solved finally, pls share it here. :)
Options
2015-05-19 09:54:12
@beeceegee

If you do not switch channels, it can keep streaming steadily, right? If yes, it could be what @zetm said.
Options
2015-05-19 21:16:11
Hi
@vivian
Only reason I didn't mention I had already done that is multicast doesn't work at all without that setting, and I sort of assumed they would realize ;)

@radvd
It can stream steadily, yes. I agree it does seem to be as @zetm suggested. Occasionally I can see in the mess bits of the previous channel as the new one breaks up
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 961

Replies: 10

Related Articles