DLNA/UPNP is working erratically on Archer C9

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-05-14 22:57:01
Region : Brazil

Model : Archer C9

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : 150122

ISP :

I have several devices shareing content using DLNA, and sometimes devices shows up on Smart TVs and sometimes not. Restaring the C9 always solves the problem. The same happends with the C9 internal media server. Despite the used software (Minidlna, MediaTomb, etc.) the problem is always present. When using another C9 with third party firmware (dd-wrt) I experienced other problems, but dlna/upnp works always fine.
No adjustmens made in C9 seems to help. Several posts in the internet talk about upnp problems with Tp-Link routers, but nothing about the newest C9.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel Chollet
Options
16 Reply
Re:DLNA/UPNP is working erratically on Archer C9
2015-05-15 15:28:21
There is a newer firmware than yours. Give a try.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/Archer-C9_V1.html#Firmware
Options
2015-05-16 02:32:07

Tony Seaford wrote

There is a newer firmware than yours. Give a try.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/Archer-C9_V1.html#Firmware

Thanks Tony, I´ll try this one. But I think is strange the US support site is not listing the last available version: http://www.tp-link.us/support/download/?model=Archer+C9&version=V1
Options
2015-05-16 03:08:58

Daniel777 wrote

I think is strange the US support site is not listing the last available version

I noted the same situation with other countries... There is a more or less important delay...
Options
2015-05-16 03:18:36

Daniel777 wrote

I think is strange the US support site is not listing the last available version

I noted the same situation with other countries... There is a more or less important delay...
Options
same here..
2015-06-02 12:09:42
I have 3.17.0 Build 20150507 Rel.34590n on my Archer C9 and am experiencing the same UPNP issues. Erratic behavior in keeping the forwarding open for devices that establish the UPNP forwarding.

I came from using a D-Link with UPNP that worked flawlessly with the same devices I'm having trouble with, so I'm confident it's not the devices themselves but the C9 is having trouble maintaining/managing the UPNP rules.

Restarting the C9 temporarily solves the issue.
Options
2015-06-02 17:38:19
What kinds of devices? Report the problem here directly.
http://ticket.tp-link.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit
Options
2015-06-04 02:29:06
I filed a ticket and here is the body of it:
-----------------
I didn't see the Archer C9 in the list, so this is filed under the C7.

The UPNP sessions in the C9 are disappearing after a variable amount of time (12 to 24 hours).

The devices requesting UPNP were working with my previous D-Link router without any issues. The C9 is an in-place upgrade.

The devices having the trouble:

1x Ubuntu 12.04 running NoMachine
1x Windows 7 64bit running NoMachine
2x Samsung Smartcam HD Pro IP Camera (wifi joined to 2.4ghz N-only channel)
2x Samsung Smartcam HD IP camera (wifi joined to 2.4ghz N-only channel)
1x Samsung Smartcam HD IP camera (hard-wired to network, wifi disabled)

The computers (ubuntu, win7) are pulling IPs correctly in DHCP. No other routing issues, port forwarding works for other services that are not UPNP related. It is only the UPNP requests that eventually disappear from the C9.

The cameras are retaining their correctly assigned static IP addresses and have no issues with internal LAN access and routing. It is only the UPNP requests that eventually disappear from the C9.

I've tried with the Firewall enabled and disabled.
I've tried with NAT Boost on and off.

I have about 2 weeks to troubleshoot this before I have to send the router back to Amazon. I absolutely cannot afford to have broken UPNP or wait for firmware, though if a fix isn't provided soon but one comes out later I'd consider re-buying the C9 as *everything* else is pretty awesome about this router!!

Thanks,
-Sean
Options
Brand new Archer C9 - Same issue here...
2015-06-27 23:18:20
I just purchased a new Archer C9. It was surprisingly quick and easy to setup, especially considering that I have a few custom aspects to my network (some port forwarding, etc).

Everything is working VERY well so far, EXCEPT for the same UPNP/DLNA issue that was mentioned above.

The interesting thing is that I briefly saw the TP-LINK device available for media sharing on my Blu-Ray player when I first added my USB drive. But after a short time, it is no longer available and no longer shows when I refresh media devices.

I've followed the recommended steps for configuration, enabling several shared folders for Media Sharing. I've verified that UPNP is enabled. I've rebooted multiple times. I've removed and re-added the USB drive. Nothing I have tried seems to start the Media Sharing service.

I'm using Firmware version:3.17.0 Build 20150507 Rel.34590n.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
-Mark Johnston
Options
2015-07-08 13:04:31
Same issue on the C8. Has it been this way from the start for you, or only after updating to the current firmware?

I would roll back BUT there are security patches in the latest firmware.
Options
2015-07-09 06:26:56

nathan_h wrote

Same issue on the C8. Has it been this way from the start for you, or only after updating to the current firmware?

Great point, @nathan_h! I believe the brief period that I noticed the Media Server / UPNP / DLNA working was with the ORIGINAL firmware. It stopped working after applying the latest firmware!

As you pointed out - is it worth going back to an older firmware, or should we hope that the feedback loop is in place and TP-Link will address this with the next firmware release...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2974

Replies: 16